stangs-R-me

'69-70 O.E. 4BBL Carb Accelerator Cable Brackets ...

There are two variations listed on NPD & CJPP

69-70 302,351 & 390 with 4BBL (NPD 9741-5A / CJPP TCB1)

and 

69-70 Boss 302 (NPD 9741-6A / CJPP TCB2)

They sell for the same price and from the pics, they look almost identical or at least interchangeable.

Anyway, I just bought a new Summit M08600VS 600CFM with Vac Sec & Elec Choke to replace my Holley 600 CFM Double Pumper I've had on the car for over 30 years and it looks like one of the above brackets might work, or I could cut apart one and modify to make work.

I had a repo of the non-Boss 4BBL bracket years ago on the Autolite 4300, but this would not fit the Double Pumper so after the Holley swap it ended up on another car that I later sold. 

For the Double Pumper I made a custom cable bracket using an OE 2BBL bracket as a starting point (would rather not modify that to fit this new carb).

Anyone know the difference between these 2 brackets ??

My guess is maybe the drop-down section goes lower on the B302 version to clear a bigger secondary fuel bowl but from the pics this looks pretty much the same.

Thanks, 

Doug

NPD-9741-5A.jpg

NPD-9741-6A.jpg

While I do not know for sure I would say it is functionally the same but different manufacture source and finish treatment. Note the concours is the same shape and listed for all 4v applications except the 390. In my opinion all 4 would work for your application.

As I recall the '69 bracket is flat like the above pictures at least for the 428. The '70 has a section that is bent down to clear the vacuum hose for the brake booster that feeds from the carb rear. The '69 gets it's booster vacuum from the PCV in the pass. side valve cover.   Dave R.

Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered up the NPD 9741-6A (Boss 302 version) and I should have it tomorrow.

Here is my custom bracket I made for the Holley Double Pumper from a 2BBL bracket.

As you can see in the 2nd pic, I bent a tab and added a screw to hold it to the base.   

Also from 2nd pic and the 3rd pic you can that the secondary accelerator pump & arm are in the way of using the factory 4 BBL bracket.

I'm also trying to duplicate my custom fuel line assembly I did on the Holley (pic 3) for the Summit carb as the chrome tube assy. supplied with the Summit carb is against the heater hose going to the top of the intake.   First attempt is no where as clean looking as I did on the Holley, main issue is the Summit uses 3/8" tubing and the Holley used 5/16" which is much easier to work with.

Doug

Holley-custom-ACC-bracket1.JPG

Holley-custom-ACC-bracket2.JPG

Holley-custom-fuel-line.JPG

As far as the bracket working with the Summit carb I found this in a thread on VMF:

"I had to remove the power valve cover on the secondary side because it interfered with the throttle bracket (I'm not sure why there's a power valve cover because the 600 doesn't have a power valve on the secondary side). I also had to bend the throttle bracket a little."

Here is the thread:

(7) Summit 600 carb review | Vintage Mustang Forums (vintage-mustang.com)

There is a power valve cover on the secondary side, I'll have to pull it off to see if it is actually covering any holes up or just there for looks.   Hopefully I'm correct in my thinking that the B302 bracket drops down further than the std 4BBL bracket, maybe I will not need to tweak it as this guy did.

So good news that it may only need minor tweaking.

Doug

20 hours ago, Dave R. said:

As I recall the '69 bracket is flat like the above pictures at least for the 428. The '70 has a section that is bent down to clear the vacuum hose for the brake booster that feeds from the carb rear. The '69 gets it's booster vacuum from the PCV in the pass. side valve cover.   Dave R.

Where does the pcv valve go?

33 minutes ago, RPM said:

Where does the pcv valve go?

In a grommet in the top rear of the pass side valve cover. I will correct my earlier post statement. I opted for using the '70 428 vacuum setup on my '69 for a reason that now eludes me. The '70 throttle bracket has a dip in it to allow the vacuum hose to clear the bracket as it comes out of the lower rear port of the carb and goes to the pcv which is in the pass valve cover. The carb port can be seen clearly in the picture above posted by stangs-are-me. The '69 setup did not use that port so the bracket was flat where it passes under the rear carb bowl. No dip or depression in it. My limited experience is with the 428 motor only. I recall "modifying" my bracket to allow the vacuum hose to clear.     Dave R.

Got the B302 bracket yesterday from NPD ... the center drop is only 1/4" down from the top of the carb feet.

The feet on this Summit Carb are 0.475" thick and being a 1 pc. carb body (rather than a separate base like a Holley) the bracket needs to drop down this full amount.   

Then as the guy in the other thread stated, there is a power valve cover that drops another 3/16" below the carb base.   I removed this cover to see if it was truly unnecessary and there are two press fit plugs in two horizontal holes, but there is a vertical hole that is not plugged ... no idea where this holes goes or if it is a dead end.   Could easily make a flat cover out of a piece of 1/8x1-5/8" sq.  steel and it would be be flush with the bottom, but if I have to modify the accelerator bracket may as well leave the carb alone and make the bracket drop down to clear this cover. 

I'll post some pics later.

Doug

10 hours ago, jmlay said:

I saw that one, but it is for aftermarket dual accelerator cables so it does not have the square cut-out for a stock cable.   

Maybe the round hole could be opened up to a square hole, but is the cable mount even in the right spot in relationship to the carb studs for a stock cable ??

Doug 

In the 1st pic, the area between the two black marks is where there is interference. 

As you can see in the 2nd pic, the B302 bracket drop is only 1/4" and about 11/16" of drop is needed to clear the bottom of the Summit carb.

The drop section of the bracket is 0.83" wide and made out of 0.10" thick steel.   I found an old galvanized switch plate that is 0.068" thick and will add about 1/2" of drop ... also verified that this added drop will not hit the intake, lots of room there.    

I'll cut a 0.83" wide section out of this switch plate and weld to the bottom of the B302 bracket using an old carb base as a fixture.   After welding, I'll cut the center section out of the B302 bracket and add more weld to the top / cut ends.   Then touch up the bare steel edges of the drop extension & welds with cold galvanize paint.   As this is under the back of the carb, the mod will be out of view and it will still look like a stock / un-modded Ford bracket when installed.

Doug

Summit-Carb-B302-Bracket-1.JPG

Summit-Carb-B302-Bracket-2.JPG

B302-Bracket-Drop-Extension1.JPG

b302-Bracket-Drop-Extension2.JPG