Sign in to follow this  
Casgar

Street or Track drop spindle

6 hours ago, lanky said:

I wonder if the steering arm was shortened at all to quicken the steering--hope so!

I didn't find anything in the comments that suggested that, but the arm pickup point is dropped slightly which reduces bump steer by 50%. Guess we'll have to wait on more info from Shaun.

1 hour ago, rwcstang said:

Very interesting and I also want a set, but are there any pro's and cons to having a dropped spindle?

From what I can see and understand the biggest pro is that you can run a wheel with more backspace since the upper ball joint is lower and clears the wheel, which would reduce scrub radius and also allow you to run a wider wheel. Another pro is also that you can run a lower stance without changing the steering geometry.

A con would be if you run wheels with stock backspace since a drop spindle in that case would slightly increase the scrub radius.

On 12/19/2020 at 4:10 AM, lanky said:

I wonder if the steering arm was shortened at all to quicken the steering--hope so!

"The spindle steering arm is shorter to fit inside the wheel and 1" further outboard than stock.  We have designed and machined longer billet tie rod sleeves for factory based steering linkage with 11/16-18 RH/LH threads.  If using a Unisteer rack, we can supply longer inner tie rod ends."

https://streetortrack.com/suspension/front-suspension/spindles/billet-big-spindles

A bit too expensive for me, but if you really want a wide wheel and can save some I guess that it could fit a yearly budget for some of our cars. :)

It's nice that he's making parts for our cars, but... that's a crazy high price. I've thought of using a shorter spindle for more backspace, but would use a Wilwood or Corvette before spending +$2k.