RobotMan

68 Hyland Green Fastback

As we all find previous craftsmanship surprises when doing these cars, this one is no different. I noticed sheet metal screws in the fender aprons near the firewall where the hood hinges attach. Looking closer there were 2 layers of sheet metal. The hood bolt points had rusted out and they lapped a new apron right over the old one and attached with sheet metal screws!  They cut out old hinges areas and filled with bondo. Some peoples shop tools should be taken away!

72D3E74A-67AF-4586-B684-E8930FC27C38.jpeg

FC051AAD-C158-433C-9C1A-55D87EFFFA85.jpeg

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Dang, you don't take a break do ya? And you seem to find all the cool cars. I'm sure this one will be as stellar as the previous beauties. Good luck!

Thanks buddy!  Got to do something to stay busy during this stupid pandemic. Not a sit on the couch kind of guy!

Nice car.  Is it an original "F" code 302?    If you are going to do a stroker, would suggest using a late model roller cam block as the starting point.

I have done several '68s and used to be a MCA '67-'68 judge, so if you run into any hard spots, happy to assist.

Vic

It’s amazing the bad work you find in these cars when repairing them. Was removing the floor pans and patches had been done to the 4 floor pans. I think they used 50 tubes of RTV. They cut partially thru cross member with cutting wheel when removing old pan. Did not bother to even fix it. What a mess. I finally got the entire floor pan removed. 

0547A851-840B-413F-855E-8B668B2C7480.jpeg

85540703-070F-44D4-8D4A-E5EDC87482F8.jpeg

I can't recall seeing a Mustang rebuild where quality repairs were discovered. No wonder people are hesitant about bondo and buying a used car that's been crashed. 

8 hours ago, RPM said:

I can't recall seeing a Mustang rebuild where quality repairs were discovered. No wonder people are hesitant about bondo and buying a used car that's been crashed. 

People who do this kind of work should have the tools taken away!

14 hours ago, RobotMan said:

It’s amazing the bad work you find in these cars when repairing them. Was removing the floor pans and patches had been done to the 4 floor pans. I think they used 50 tubes of RTV. They cut partially thru cross member with cutting wheel when removing old pan. Did not bother to even fix it. What a mess. I finally got the entire floor pan removed. 

0547A851-840B-413F-855E-8B668B2C7480.jpeg

85540703-070F-44D4-8D4A-E5EDC87482F8.jpeg

I have had to peel a floor out over the original floor ,and quarters overlapping the old quarters . Then there is the old steel wool stuffed in the rotten hole and the steel wool rotted away ..almost instantly ..just leaving the bondo over the hole ,and you dont even want to see the 64 1/2 i have here that was fiberglassed right over the rot in the floor ,cowl and quarters