Sign in to follow this  
Sal DiMauro

TILT WHEEL STEERING COLUMN

Over the years I have collected pieces of the tilt columns I have found at scrap yards.  I might be able to put together a tilt colum for you, but these are worth a lot of money.  The last one at West Coast Classic Cougar sold for $1600.  You might give them a call to see if they have one.  They  had one last summer without the "breakaway" feature, I am not sure if they still have it. 

Another option is there is a column from a 1968 thunderbird on ebay now. It is $400. It could work, the only issue is that it has the column shift features you could work around.  I am not sure if the seller realizes it is a tilt column, but I know it is.  it is at    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Thunderbird-Blue-Steering-Column-used-blue/183973213027?hash=item2ad5a87363%3Ag%3A-DoAAOSw2addjoxT&LH_ItemCondition=4 

I will offer any help I can if you decide to go with original. 

Don't want to spend that type of money on a steering column , and I'm most likely going with a 13 inch wheel any way, just wanted to get some input on a after market column Thanks for the help i will keep you in mind if i do

33 minutes ago, Sal DiMauro said:

Don't want to spend that type of money on a steering column , and I'm most likely going with a 13 inch wheel any way, just wanted to get some input on a after market column Thanks for the help i will keep you in mind if i do

I understand completely.  Some really like the tilt-away or break-away feature only on original columns.  It is very rare, only used in certain Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars between 1967 and 1969.  The tilt away could not be used when the key switch was moved to the column in 1970. 

On 12/16/2020 at 1:21 PM, SM69Mach said:

I installed a ididit column on mine when I upgraded my steering.  Happy with it and have no issues, with it.  Would buy it again. 

What steering system did you upgrade to?

14 hours ago, Nuzzlet said:

What steering system did you upgrade to?

I upgraded to a Unisteer PS R&P.  Picked it up from Shawn at Street or Track when I did the front suspension.   So far it has been great and I have no complaints at all!