shelbyshelby

Mach 1 Carpet

I have a 69 Mach 1. It’s coded C5 exterior as black jade. The interior code is 3A. All I can find online says black high back Mach 1 seats, which I have with a red stripe. Does anybody have a book or document to confirm the correct carpet would have 4 red inserts? Along with the red stripe in the seats? Seems like an un-matching combo. I want it to look correct if that is indeed the way Ford built it. Black jade exterior, black mach1 seats with red stripes and black carpet with 4 red inserts? Is ACC w/mass backed the best available? 

You are describing my completely stock Mach, of which I am the original owner. The carpet does have 4 red inserts and red stripes on the seats. There have been numerous discussions about the carpet. You could do a search and see what pops up. Barnett will know the best available vendor, if he sees the post and drops by.

Here is a quote from Barnett (in rare form I might add) from May of this year:

Acc carpet is complete crap, distinctive carpet is the best  however  distinctive no longer makes carpet, so unless you are lucky enough to find some place that has some left over, you are stuck with the crap carpet.  

Thank you gentlemen. I ended up ordering the red inserts with mass backed.  From internet studies your knowledge seems all 69’s Mach’s came with red inserts no matter the exterior color. One last question. Does the period mustang floor mats cover the red color inserts or is red floor mats more correct for a black interior/black jade mach1. 

4 hours ago, shelbyshelby said:

Thank you gentlemen. I ended up ordering the red inserts with mass backed.  From internet studies your knowledge seems all 69’s Mach’s came with red inserts no matter the exterior color. One last question. Does the period mustang floor mats cover the red color inserts or is red floor mats more correct for a black interior/black jade mach1. 

Not all Mach 1's came with the red insert. My 69 Mach 1, with white interior, has no color to the stripe. It is white just like the seat. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:53 PM, Machspeed said:

Not all Mach 1's came with the red insert. My 69 Mach 1, with white interior, has no color to the stripe. It is white just like the seat. 

Machspeed, what color carpet came with a white interior?  Would you be interested in a set of front and rear carpet mats? They are white with MACH1 in black letters stitched into the front mats. The letters are 3" tall. They are brand new in the factory bag. They were given to me. Pay only for the shipping. PM me if you're interested.   Dave R.

13 hours ago, Dave R. said:

Machspeed, what color carpet came with a white interior?  Would you be interested in a set of front and rear carpet mats? They are white with MACH1 in black letters stitched into the front mats. The letters are 3" tall. They are brand new in the factory bag. They were given to me. Pay only for the shipping. PM me if you're interested.   Dave R.

Black carpet with my with interior, Dave. Can't say I've ever seen white carpet in a Mach 1 or for that matter any Mustang of our genre. And, that is incredibly kind of you Dave but I have brand new vintage matts for my car. Thanks anyways, appreciate ya!  

16 minutes ago, Machspeed said:

Black carpet with my with interior, Dave. Can't say I've ever seen white carpet in a Mach 1 or for that matter any Mustang of our genre. And, that is incredibly kind of you Dave but I have brand new vintage matts for my car. Thanks anyways, appreciate ya!  

You are welcome. White mats. Who would need such a thing? Maybe for a show only car. I can't even give these things away.    Dave R. 

One of the biggest  issues is that it is much less dense than factory carpet. Distinctive carpet is the same density as factory. When the crappy acc carpet is installed, one can in fact see between the carpet strands to the backing where it goes over the trans tunnel when the sun is on it. To try and counter the fact that their carpet is ow quality, acc eventually came up with their "mass backing" option as a bad aid in an attempt to compensate for the low density (fibers per inch) of their carpet.

Just because it may be easy to install by no way means that it is high quality carpet, and in fact, one of the reasons it is easy to install is because it is low quality. Since it is low density, it conforms easier to contours, just like a piece of plastic the thickness of a piece of paper would conform to contours much easier than one that is 1/4" thick.

Can the average person visually see the difference, no, as long as they are not looking at the trans tunnel in the daylight, so their carpet is not useless by a long way, but it is still very low quality when compared to distinctive brand and factory, and I try to use the highest quality parts available whenever possible and feasible, but since distinctive no longer makes carpet, acc is the only other one I use when I can't find a shop that has left over distinctive carpet, but that does not mean I like it.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, mustangstofear said:

We just installed this ACC carpet and it fits like a glove. Makes a big difference if you use a steamer. 

20201217_091845.jpg

Is that the ACC Carpet with the Mass backing?

Can I assume that the Mass backing is worth the extra cost due to its sound deadening quality? Is it more difficult to install?

Just wanted to update my experience with acc carpet. I bought the raylon mass backed black w/red insert Mach 1 carpet. It laid in near perfectly straight from the box. I used dynamat extreme, then 1/4” dynaliner and finally the acc mass backed carpet. Full coverage on both dyna products. Both dyna products stacked to 3/8” and didn’t seem to aggravate the way the carpet lays.
   It seems to me like it’s density is the same as my original 68 carpet. I’ve yet to have it outside in good light yet though. 
  The only complaint I have and yet undecided if I’ll try to resolve, is the passenger rear red insert is sewn in crooked. If I knew the black period floor mats would hide it, I might leave it be but would bother me somewhat just knowing it ain’t right. It’s not a little bit crooked either. Best I can measure, it’s over an inch out of square :( slightly noticeable in the bottom picture but my pics doesn’t show how bad it is. 

5D28614B-0E00-44C4-82A5-1C546DC39823.jpeg

114D9E6D-11EC-4920-A45C-5AC49E750415.jpeg

It's quite obviously out of square and it's going to bother you for as long as you have it. Return it for a correct one now while all the seats are out. It will slow you down but you'll never be bothered again.

8 hours ago, shelbyshelby said:

Just wanted to update my experience with acc carpet. I bought the raylon mass backed black w/red insert Mach 1 carpet. It laid in near perfectly straight from the box. I used dynamat extreme, then 1/4” dynaliner and finally the acc mass backed carpet. Full coverage on both dyna products. Both dyna products stacked to 3/8” and didn’t seem to aggravate the way the carpet lays.
   It seems to me like it’s density is the same as my original 68 carpet. I’ve yet to have it outside in good light yet though. 
  The only complaint I have and yet undecided if I’ll try to resolve, is the passenger rear red insert is sewn in crooked. If I knew the black period floor mats would hide it, I might leave it be but would bother me somewhat just knowing it ain’t right. It’s not a little bit crooked either. Best I can measure, it’s over an inch out of square :( slightly noticeable in the bottom picture but my pics doesn’t show how bad it is. 

5D28614B-0E00-44C4-82A5-1C546DC39823.jpeg

114D9E6D-11EC-4920-A45C-5AC49E750415.jpeg

I would send it back,  and have them send you another one 

On 12/19/2020 at 9:51 PM, barnett468 said:

One of the biggest  issues is that it is much less dense than factory carpet. Distinctive carpet is the same density as factory. When the crappy acc carpet is installed, one can in fact see between the carpet strands to the backing where it goes over the trans tunnel when the sun is on it. To try and counter the fact that their carpet is ow quality, acc eventually came up with their "mass backing" option as a bad aid in an attempt to compensate for the low density (fibers per inch) of their carpet.

Just because it may be easy to install by no way means that it is high quality carpet, and in fact, one of the reasons it is easy to install is because it is low quality. Since it is low density, it conforms easier to contours, just like a piece of plastic the thickness of a piece of paper would conform to contours much easier than one that is 1/4" thick.

Can the average person visually see the difference, no, as long as they are not looking at the trans tunnel in the daylight, so their carpet is not useless by a long way, but it is still very low quality when compared to distinctive brand and factory, and I try to use the highest quality parts available whenever possible and feasible, but since distinctive no longer makes carpet, acc is the only other one I use when I can't find a shop that has left over distinctive carpet, but that does not mean I like it.

Is it possible that the supplier(s) of the carpet to ACC is making a lower quality carpet to begin with? You do realize that ACC does not weave their own carpet. They buy carpet by the roll and form it into the product that they sell. Maybe they are doing the best they can with what is available.   Dave R.

16 minutes ago, Dave R. said:

Is it possible that the supplier(s) of the carpet to ACC is making a lower quality carpet to begin with? You do realize that ACC does not weave their own carpet. They buy carpet by the roll and form it into the product that they sell. Maybe they are doing the best they can with what is available.   Dave R.

If they're forming it and installing the inserts then I don't see how the source material lead to it being out of square. 

No No. Sorry copb8. My above comment was directed at barnett468. That is why I quoted his comment. I agree. Your carpet issue is just poor workmanship at ACC. Where did you buy the carpet?   Dave R.

10 hours ago, Dave R. said:

Irregardless of where they get it, it is low quality, and that is really all that matters, however, with the hundreds of carpet mfg's in the US, I'm quite confident that ACC  can get a higher quality (denser weave) carpet. The home carpet mfg's offer that option, so I can't fathom the auto carpet mills not offering that option, since it is likely  just a matter of changing the computer program to a higher density.

The fact is that ACC was selling the same low quality carpet they are now when Distinctive Industries was selling their high quality, high density carpet, therefore, that is proof that at least at that time, a higher quality carpet than ACC offered could be made, and for reasons only known to ACC, they intentionally decided to use a low quality carpet, it's that simple. Also, ever since Distinctive stopped making carpet, ACC has no need to offer a high quality carpet, because they pretty much have the automotive carpet market all to themselves.

We had the biggest vintage Mustang restoration shop in California for 20 years, and there were numerous customers that told us they didn't like the ACC carpet because of the things I mentioned, and we told them that unfortunately, that was the best brand available at that time. When I heard from Distinctive that they were going to stop making carpet, I asked them if they would be interested in selling us all their carpet equipment because we didn't like the quality of the ACC carpet, but unfortunately, they had gotten rid of it all by that time.