Sign in to follow this  
spogshd

Driveshaft question

Are all driveshafts the same in principle, just the shafts not the yokes. Need to cut mine down but was thinking of just buying another one and keeping the one i have as it is. 

So the question is, can i take any and modify it. Currently I have a 4 speed toploader and a 9" rear.

C

same yes and no.. they all do the same thing but different cap size.. diameters... factory ones encased in rubber for vibrations..aluminum and steel..

So if you find one that has the same yoke you need for your u joints...cut it down and have it balanced.. might  be cheaper than a new shaft..

You can take any driveshaft & have it modified, you just have to use the proper u joints to fit your car. I purchased a aluminum driveshaft from a Ford Explorer had it shortened by a driveshaft shop used the proper u joints that fit my 69 Coupe & installed it.

If the drive shaft is not a solid tube,  one slid inside the other, it’s best to just have one made. Not worth trying to balance a two piece. Believe a new shaft with u joints cost me right under 200 with me supplying the trans yoke

Has anyone that went the route of use an aluminum Exploder driveshaft had any problems with clearance in the floor tunnel? The aluminum driveshaft I obtained from a friend is diameter 3.465 inches and the stock steel 351W driveshaft I have is diameter 2.76 inches.

7 hours ago, 69Mach1 M code said:

Has anyone that went the route of use an aluminum Exploder driveshaft had any problems with clearance in the floor tunnel? The aluminum driveshaft I obtained from a friend is diameter 3.465 inches and the stock steel 351W driveshaft I have is diameter 2.76 inches.

As I stated in my post above from Dec. 2020 I used an aluminum driveshaft from an Explorer had it shortened & installed it in my 69 Coupe behind a T-5 trans mated to a midly built 5.0.

100_1572.thumb.JPG.8ebda48d87f4209a4035dffb5e82fd7c.JPG

23 hours ago, 69Mach1 M code said:

I used a drive shaft from a 2 door v8 explorer(i believe it was) on my 69. It fit perfect on the length had to change the yoke to fit the AOD I put in it. Also Centered a 8.8 rear from the same explorer and installed on the mustang. I doubt the explorer shaft would be the right length for 69 or 70 with stock tran and rear end. 

1 hour ago, det0326 said:

I used a drive shaft from a 2 door v8 explorer...I doubt the explorer shaft would be the right length for 69 or 70 with stock tran and rear end. 

I too used a circa 1996 V8 2 door Explorer shaft that fit with my FMX just fine. 

6 hours ago, Mike65 said:

There were no V8 2 door Explorers, Ford never put a V8 in the 2 door Explorers, just the 4 doors.

I could not remember  about how many doors but I am sure that the drive shaft I got was from explorer with v8. it has been quite a while and I am old.

2 hours ago, det0326 said:

I could not remember  about how many doors but I am sure that the drive shaft I got was from explorer with v8. it has been quite a while and I am old.

I resemble that remark.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:46 PM, 69Mach1 M code said:

@Mike65 - Do you remember if the yoke on the pinion shaft from the differential is a 1310 size joint or a larger 1330? The yokes on my original driveshaft from the 351 are 1310's.

I do not remember which u joint I used, it might have been the larger one. I have a 9" rear in my Coupe.

On 12/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, 69Mach1 M code said:

For health reasons, I avoid using any type of Exploding driveshafts. :-)