RPM

A/C Lower Dash Vent Ball Rebuild

I know a couple of y'all have rebuilt the ball felt with velcro. My question is did you have to remove the ball from the socket? If so, how'd you do it and reinstall it? Did you drill out the small rivet looking thingies?

20201207_185245.thumb.jpg.e757edeee2b9bbb4489f816dd2f4ea8b.jpg

I removed the ball from the socket. I drilled out the stud and tapped it to a very small flat head screw. You should only have to do 2 of the studs as the third it will just slide out of. I also had to take the Velcro and use a pair of shears to trim down the thickness so the ball wasn’t so tight to turn when reassembled. Not sure of anyone else had to do that but without doing it I’m sure the ball would have broke if I tried to turn it as it was very tight. 

okay one caution - maybe the other guys didn't have the problem I did, but I ground off the rivets (which are steel I believe) - no problem.  then I cleaned and prepped everything and put in the velcro - no problem.  However, the housings that the rivets were inserted into are pot metal (very soft) much softer than the steel rivets.  So when I went to drill them out and tap for new screws, my drill slid off the center of the steel rivet and went down into the soft pot-metal.  This caused them to be misaligned a little, and it was less than satisfying (thats what she said).

perhaps if I had drilled out the rivets all the way down instead of grinding initially, everything woulda been groovy.  Anyway - don't just grind off the heads - drill out the steel rivets while you can - right up front of the activity.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, Kris said:

I removed the ball from the socket. I drilled out the stud and tapped it to a very small flat head screw. You should only have to do 2 of the studs as the third it will just slide out of. I also had to take the Velcro and use a pair of shears to trim down the thickness so the ball wasn’t so tight to turn when reassembled. Not sure of anyone else had to do that but without doing it I’m sure the ball would have broke if I tried to turn it as it was very tight. 

Thinking one of those sweater fuzzball trimmers or an electric razor might work for this.

7 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

I just pulled them out, on both the 69 and 70. Replaced felt and then popped them in

Without removing the rivets? Did you pull them out the front of back?