copb8

GPS Tracking

Have any of you installed a GPS tracking device so that you can locate your car if stolen? I was thinking about getting one but wanted a unit that is hardwired and doesn't require a monthly/annual service.

I found this unit but was hoping to get more feedback before pulling the trigger

GPS Tracker

The price was too good to be true. I entered a chat, and here is how the conversation went:

Me: Will this work anywhere my phone works?

Him: Which device?

Me: Itrack GPS Tracker

Him: Yes anywhere in US

Me: So coverage is 100%

Him: Yes if you use the GPS Sim Card included in the package. Our GPS Sim Card designed for GPS tracker and We partnered with Giant Telecom in US.

Me: is it provider specific?

Him:

We have negotiated flat wholesale pricing with each of the telecom giants for truly unlimited data (no throttling), and device bands (gps device only traffic), Plus Our GPS cards sim operates on a hybrid network, which means when one provider in your area has a stronger signal, the GPS card will automatically switch to the stronger provider.

We also included one month of service for you to test it.

Me: so there is a service that is monthly?

Him: Yes but it's a prepaid service, no contract.
when one month free is up, It's your choice if you like to renew or not.
For renewal, you can check the link here: Yes but it's a prepaid service, no contract.
when one month free is up, It's your choice if you like to renew or not.
For renewal, you can check the link here:
https://gps.cards/renewal/

Go to the site and see, it's $24.99/month. BTW, I've seen some for as low as $12/mo. Still looking.

It's buyer beware on those things. Couple of years ago I bought one for around 50 bucks. No sim card to be found. Countless emails requesting one had them repeatedly reply "make sure the sim card is installed". Oh well. 

Well, that is interesting.  Also is your answer.   The price came in the last line. Free was too good to believe, I was wondering what the catch was.  I guess if you want security, that is it.  I think most of us have other means of protection.  The only way my car could be taken is by a tow truck, which is easy these days.  I even have a system for carjacking.  If you have the other protections so the only way it can be taken is with a tow truck, this would work.  

Good theft insurance with real valuations also helps provide assurance.  Stated value insurance could be an option?  With stated value, you can get a higher value ( than what books say) to cover your added features.   I had it for years, then I got Hagerty insurance. 

Thanks for the research guys. I thought it was too good to be true. Very deceptive in my opinion.

I have a friend with a mint restored Pantera and a 69 Shelby GT500 and thought it was going to be a perfect gift. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

I bought a lojack unit quite a few years ago. It was a one time purchase w/o and further fees. One installed it doesn't need anything further.  You need to have lojack coverage in your area.  One stolen, you call the police and they activate a signal to track your device.  

Same here, I have a LoJack in what is now an older car. It was about a $1k for the lifetime package, 18 years ago. It calls to tell me when the batteries in the keyfob are dead :)

It had good coverage in Los Angeles and now north of Atlanta. 

I think I paid ~ 500+ for Lojack w/o the early warning key fob system in 2015.  Lojack should reduce your insurance premium. In 2017 I had a service call to check it.  They replaced it with a unit that didn't require a battery replacement. 

10 hours ago, Alan_Mac said:

I think I paid ~ 500+ for Lojack w/o the early warning key fob system in 2015.  Lojack should reduce your insurance premium. In 2017 I had a service call to check it.  They replaced it with a unit that didn't require a battery replacement. 

Im thinking of going with lojack myself, I know RING is coming out with their own version but not sure if its compatible with classic cars: https://blog.ring.com/2020/09/24/a-new-ring-of-security-introducing-ring-security-for-cars/

I wonder if it would work to buy a cheap pay by the minute cell phone and plug it into the 12 volts and install maybe in the trunk.   If you pay by the minute, buy the least minutes needed, and install it.  Then is there a way for you to track the location of the cell phone hidden in the trunk of your car? 

An Iphone would work.  Take an old Iphone with FindMyIphone app installed on it.  Pay for a very cheap cell phone service (FreedomPop) is one. Wire it to 12volts and place it in a spot that is not easily discovered. You can track the Iphone using your other Iphone, Ipad or other apple product.  It works nicely.  I don't know if you could use another type of phone with a similar app.

11 minutes ago, capemustang said:

An Iphone would work.  Take an old Iphone with FindMyIphone app installed on it.  Pay for a very cheap cell phone service (FreedomPop) is one. Wire it to 12volts and place it in a spot that is not easily discovered. You can track the Iphone using your other Iphone, Ipad or other apple product.  It works nicely.  I don't know if you could use another type of phone with a similar app.

That is exactly what I was thinking, thanks for filling in details.  I am sure it can be done on a generic phone also. Maybe make a plastic enclosure for it and mount it under the trunk?   I think if it was inside the trunk it would not work, because it is completely surrounded by a metal enclosure.   Or maybe in the area behind the headlights under a fender?  

3 hours ago, danno said:

That is exactly what I was thinking, thanks for filling in details.  I am sure it can be done on a generic phone also. Maybe make a plastic enclosure for it and mount it under the trunk?   I think if it was inside the trunk it would not work, because it is completely surrounded by a metal enclosure.   Or maybe in the area behind the headlights under a fender?  

I just checked on the trunk method a few minutes ago. I put my iphone in the trunk and closed it.  I used another device to utilize the FindMyIphone app.  It worked.  Keep in mind that i used an iphone 7 with a Tmobile network. My older one (Iphone 5) that I use in the mustang was dead (battery dead) because the car battery is disconnected for the winter.  I am going to charge up the older iphone with the cheaper network and try it again later. I don't think it makes a difference but I will let you know.  Originally, I had the older iphone mounted under the dash. I wired a cigarette charger type socket into the harness and plugged the phone in for constant charge.   It works very well, but I might try the trunk method for a more secure location.  I don't know about the headlights under a fender location--my concern would be moisture getting to the phone.

45 minutes ago, newstang said:

I have a cheaper version. I insure my cars for $75k a piece, if it gets stolen, i dont want it back :-)

WHAAAT? I've got to much blood, sweat and tears in mine to not want it back. 

18 hours ago, danno said:

OK, good to know it works.  It is certainly cheaper than spending $200 initially and then $30 a month on a service to do the same thing.  

I tested the Iphone5 with the cheaper network (FreedomPop) in the trunk.  It did not work like my Iphone 7 with Tmobile in the trunk.  It could be the Iphone5 or the network  or the trunk location. The car is now in a very deep garage under the house and is not getting a good signal.  This summer, it worked outside much better.  Sadly, the car won't be out of the garage until March/April to do a better test.  BTW, the FreedomPop version I use is the $5-6 a month one.  

On 12/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, newstang said:

I have a cheaper version. I insure my cars for $75k a piece, if it gets stolen, i dont want it back :-)

Yes, stated value insurance is certainly an option. There is a cost of high stated value insurance over "book" value.  I am not sure what that is.  I used to have stated value, but changed to the book value Hemmings places on mine.  The "book" value is really vague, I would think if mine was stolen I would not get what it is really worth.  Insurance companies do not like stated value because that is what people use when they want to use when there car is magically stolen.   Like buying life insurance when you are 90 years old.  You can do it, but it is very costly. 

The only way my car could be stolen is with a tow truck.  Possible... yes.  So whether you go with locks and alarms, tracking, or insurance,  you need something.