Sal DiMauro

69 MACH 1 Front end upgrade

Coilovers i would look at Street or Track, Shaun is great to deal with he develops and uses what he sells.

Upgraded stock style you can also look at Street or Track or Opentracker Racing, John and Sherri are both great to deal with.  Give either ORP or SorT a call and talk to them about what you are trying to accomplish with your car.  They won't steer you wrong and won't over sale you something you don't need just to make a buck.

46 minutes ago, Grabber70Mach said:

Coilovers i would look at Street or Track, Shaun is great to deal with he develops and uses what he sells.

Upgraded stock style you can also look at Street or Track or Opentracker Racing, John and Sherri are both great to deal with.  Give either ORP or SorT a call and talk to them about what you are trying to accomplish with your car.  They won't steer you wrong and won't over sale you something you don't need just to make a buck.

Agree 100% with this.  I personally talked to Shaun multiple times before deciding to buy from him, and have heard the same about John and Sherri.  Shaun talked through all of the options, multiple times and I never once felt I was being sold or pushed to anything I didn't want.  I ended up with his full coilover setup with Street valving and Unisteer PS and COULD NOT BE HAPPIER.  Can't go wrong with either option and for sure they will have something to fit whatever budget you have!

I've got a buddy who installed Viking coil overs in his 65 this year and likes them very much. They're the style that mount in the original location, and were in the $700 price range. 

3 hours ago, Sal DiMauro said:

I want to upgrade my front suspension , thinking about coil over but don't want to go to crazy and kind of on a budget, any suggestions

Don't know your budget, but pretty sure SoT requires his upper and lower control arms as part of the kit which I think is around $3k. I've also spoken with Shaun who will give you info without any pressure to buy. He won't sell individual parts or tell you which brand parts he uses other than Bilstein.

I met John and Sherry from Opentracker, wonderful people. He also has quality products which will give a smoother front suspension. 

10 hours ago, Grabber70Mach said:

Nice pun!  Well done!

3 minutes ago, Sal DiMauro said:

thanks for all the info , I am going to go with coil overs but do I stay with the stock steering ? i am going to try and do the work my self 

I have SOT coil overs with a the original Power Steering setup, works fine. Once you have installed the coil over setup, get the car to an alignment shop that has experience with old classic cars.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/e5h21.html

14 hours ago, danno said:

Well, the question about budget needs to be asked.  I was interested until I saw the price. About $2800, not including labor.  Is that about correct? 

I think its affordable and worth the money if you want to eliminate the old suspension and get the modern comforts of a new car, I think this kit will solve that and its just easier to service as you can rebuild your coilover shocks with bilstein.

I do however feel his brake kits are slightly overpriced, you can roughly get the same kit for a few hundred dollars less, but his pricing is based off the research and engineering he has done for our cars and it has been proven to work well in both street and race environments. 

42 minutes ago, Sal DiMauro said:

but do I stay with the stock steering ? i am going to try and do the work my self 

There's nothing wrong with the stock steering, unless you have money just burning a hole in your pocket. You can rebuild it yourself or have Chockostang do it: http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/

FYI, I saw a post from Chock on another forum where he asked why Vette people never complain about the same system, but Mustang people do.

2 hours ago, Sal DiMauro said:

thanks for all the info , I am going to go with coil overs but do I stay with the stock steering ? i am going to try and do the work my self 

As mentioned previously, I upgraded to the Unisteer PS set up for a couple of reasons.  My manual box was wore out and was not fun to drive.  I also wanted to switch to a PS setup as I have a bigblock, with wide front ties and was converting to a 5 speed, and honestly didn't feel safe doing that with the manual set up. I never liked the stock style PS set up so opted for the Unisteer set up.  I have no complaints and it has worked great for me and was very easy to install.  

12 hours ago, Sal DiMauro said:

ok one more thing what is the best paint or under coating to put on my frame rails and floors after I take off all of old stuff off

I’m at that stage.  Are you after rust prevention, sound reduction or heat reduction. It’s very different. Few products do all three well. If you’re going for original there’s products for that but if you remove it I wouldn’t think that’s what you want.