Bishop1911

69 mach 1 transmission upgrade suggestions

So one of the things going forward that I hope to do in the future would be upgrade my wifes mach 1 to a better transmission from the amx that is currently in there.

It is likely a ways away, but as things are coming up for sale, i want to start to watch for a deal and if something good comes up grab it.

This is going to be my wifes cruiser car.  This will not be raced, or driver really hard.  Maybe some spirited driving occasioanlly, but nothing pushing the cars limits.  

The current amx trans shifts hard, goes into gear hard and my understanding is that they are extremely heavy.

What would be a good option to mate up with her 351 windsor?  Also I would prefer to not have to change a lot of things out so the less to change the better.

I am guessing there isnt likely a straight bolt in replacement, but I am not sure.

Also what should this said transmission cost as a good deal?

Thank you for the input guys.

The transmission you are referring to is an FMX, and is a good stout 3 speed automatic transmission. If you are looking at automatics, most people upgrade to an overdrive trans, the AOD, AODE, or the 4R70W. These are in succession of age and the 4R70W has improvements over the previous years. These will bolt right up to a 351w. The overdrive will slow the engine down when crusing and extend its life, reduce freeway noise (because the engine is going slower), and make it seem more like a modern car which all have overdrive.

It will require some modification to the shift linkage, a new trans support, and driveshaft. The AODE and 4R70W will also require an electronic transmission controller and wire harness. I have no idea what a shop would charge for the modification, but the transmission alone can be around $1300, and a controller and harness $750. It would be a pricey upgrade if you aren't doing it yourself.