danno

1969 tach dash available

A  1969 tach and dash instruments is available on Craigslit in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.  Price it $1100.  From others I have seen, that is a reasonable price for one.   One is on ebay for $1500.  The buyer needs to be aware of wiring needed to be able to use this; you cannot just plug it in to a car without a tach. 

You need a new underdash harness and under hood harness to make this work.  Existing harnesses can be converted, but it is some work to do it. I also understand they make an adapter kit to convert from regular to tach harness.  That would not be too difficult.   

What do you think of the price?  

If you want original its not a bad price.  It looks to be in very good condition and the tach has been rebuilt.  Might want to inquire on who and what was rebuilt. The price gone up considerably in the past 7 years! 

8 hours ago, Alan_Mac said:

If you want original its not a bad price.  It looks to be in very good condition and the tach has been rebuilt.  Might want to inquire on who and what was rebuilt. The price gone up considerably in the past 7 years! 

Yes, they have gone up and will probably continue.  When I see Mach 1's selling for the $50,000 to $100,000 range, it does not surprise me.  How can you have a Mach without a tach?  It should have been standard equipment on them. 

I paid $570 for a really nice factory tach set out of a shelby back in 2011.  Considering how hard these are to find, 2x price, 10 years later is not bad.  I had redline put modern internals in the tach to run it directly from my Crane fireball CD box, so no harness work needed.    

I just had a talk with the guy about it.  He used to have a car that this came out of, and that car was sold many years ago.  Unfortunately the unique wiring harnesses that go with the tack were sold with that car.   He is going to put it on ebay motors soon, and raise the price.   So if anyone wants this, jump on it now.  Midlife can probably either modify your existing wire harnesses to accept it. 

The price on ebay will probably be cosiderable more, because of the fees involved. 

And to think I bought my Tach Dash at the 1987 IOLA Swap Meet in very nice original shape WITH a good and complete dash harness for $85.00. 

Went back and bought a second one from the same vendor for my brother a year or two later ... don't remember what I paid for that one but doubt it was a whole lot more than paid for the 1st one !!

Sometimes makes me wonder if my car is worth more in parts or whole.

Doug 

My 2 cents.  The price of these Tach instrument panels is going down as the demand for them goes down.  The demand for these kind of dropped when the original optional hood mounted tachs started being reproduced.  Fifteen years or so ago they were commonly $1500 for an original assembly that still worked.  Then for one that was not working and needed rebuilding . . . still $1500.  And nobody would part out unique gauges on these.  So if there were one gauge or the speedo that needed replacing, it was tough to find it. 

There are reproductions of the in dash tach available. The one I have is made by a company in Pennsylvania. It does not require any modifications to the original non tach harness. I did have to swap the oil pressure sending unit to the dummy light style unit. The tach has the same warning lights as an original. I kept the alternator gauge on my cluster because I have oil pressure and temp gauges in the ashtray on the console.

If a person were to buy the advertised cluster for $900 and then turned around and bought a new tach under dash and under hood harness, you would have quite a bit more invested than converting with a modern repro. 

I’m sure there is still a market for original stuff like the seller is offering, but there are other options.

AB63C862-4F3C-4AF5-8FFE-EF5D52E3D240.jpeg

This certainly looks very much like the original. Who makes this?  Anyone who knows the cars would realize the dash is not original, but it is so close.  The original tach cluster had a trip odometer ( which itself is extremely rare in 1969) and a  temp gauge. 

But what you have is so good!  Who makes it? 

1 hour ago, danno said:

This certainly looks very much like the original. Who makes this?  Anyone who knows the cars would realize the dash is not original, but it is so close.  The original tach cluster had a trip odometer ( which itself is extremely rare in 1969) and a  temp gauge. 

But what you have is so good!  Who makes it? 

The tach I have was made by Tribute Automotive.  It has modern internals and plugs into my MSD tach output. The alternator warning light works a little different than an original. With this setup the warning light comes on for undervoltage and overvoltage (11.8v and 14.2v)

I did not purchase it directly from them though. The guys at Orlando Mustang did the conversion on my cluster. 

0875D097-F4C8-4DEF-9003-1AF63689D0CE.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Busch said:

The tach I have was made by Tribute Automotive.  It has modern internals and plugs into my MSD tach output. The alternator warning light works a little different than an original. With this setup the warning light comes on for undervoltage and overvoltage (11.8v and 14.2v)

I did not purchase it directly from them though. The guys at Orlando Mustang did the conversion on my cluster. 

Looks nice.  What are you going to do for the fuel and temp gauges?  Fuel gauge should be where the oil psi gauge is currently located, temp gauge should be where the ammeter currently is located.

12 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Looks nice.  What are you going to do for the fuel and temp gauges?  Fuel gauge should be where the oil psi gauge is currently located, temp gauge should be where the ammeter currently is located.

On mine I decided to keep the original alternator gauge on the left side. Fuel gauge moved to the right side just like the original tach equipped cars. I have oil pressure and temperature gauges on the console, so having temp in the dash doesn’t help much. Of course you could also argue that the alternator gauge in the dash does very little as well and isn’t particularly useful. The tach has oil pressure and alternator and brake warning lights just like a factory tach has.

1963B7EA-1E7B-441E-B407-54A0C5D28604.jpeg

Found a guy parting out a 69, wants 800 for the wood grain dash clusters, tach and clock and inner/outer harness, I’m pulling. 
400 for the 4 speed with factory shifter. 300 for d shaft and 9”. 
guy int sell the whole car to me, doesn’t have the title. Told him a signed bill of sale works for me, but he won’t do it.