Mach1 Driver

HIPO exhaust manifolds on a 351w?

I've read that these cast iron manifolds will fit 351w heads, but will they navigate around everything else? I suspect they have a good chance. I'm just asking because they won't be as loud as headers or have the heat problem. Obviously they are a step down from long tubes but should be better than stock. Anyone tried these in our beasts?

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/exhaust-manifolds-hi-po-289-351w-1963-1965.html

I did a bit of digging and found this from George Reid in his book High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange. It appears (much to my surprise) that the 351W already has a manifold comparable to the 289 HIPO- who knew- way to go Henry!

The 289 High Performance exhaust manifold is obviously different and offers improved breathing. Here, we compare them with standard 289 manifolds (B and D). These manifolds are C3OE-9431-B (Left Side/Arrow C) and C4ZE-9430-A (Right Side/Arrow A) from 1963-66. For 1967, they are C7ZE-9431-A (Left Side) and C7ZE-9430-A (Right Side). The 289 High Performance exhaust manifolds are available as reproductions from Ford parts vendors.

image.png.76ee1ac603e0b546d0e4a764e6ea7ac7.pngimage.png.130c9bb1d25963080b3b268949134fc7.png

289 standard= B & D                                   351W standard

289 HIPO= A & C

The 351W exhaust manifold is similar to the 289 High Performance pieces just mentioned. It offers improved breathing over the 289/302-2V and 4V manifolds without excessive header heat and clearance problems. As you can see, 351W manifolds vary from left to right. There is a right-hand 351W exhaust manifold similar to the manifold on the 289.

Edit, looking at the pictures I see that the bolts don't appear to be in a straight line on the passenger side manifold of the 351W, as they are on the drivers side, but I don't think that's the case with mine. It's too crowded on the car to get a good look, but it makes me wonder about the validity of pictures. I pulled up some pictures of the gaskets and they appear to be mirror images right to left, which wouldn't be possible- has anyone noticed offset bolts like this on their manifolds? Methinks there may be an error here.

11 hours ago, aslanefe said:

@Mach1 Driver

As far as I know, the holes on passenger side on 351W is not offset. One short bolt, one long bolt on each runner. The boss on front of the runners is tall and takes the longer bolts, angle of photo makes it look like holes are offset.

Good example of optical illusion, my eyes say it's offset also.

PXL_20201116_142027221.jpg

PXL_20201116_142248427.jpg