edwardthomson51@yahoo.com

BEST DOT 5 BRAKE FLUID TO USE?

On 11/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, edwardthomson51@yahoo.com said:

WHOLE BRAKE SYSTEM WILL BE NEW ...WANT TO GO TO DOT 5 FLUID.......ANY BRANDS BETTER THEN OTHERS?????

ED

unless you plan on road racing it and getting the brakes hot, any brand name brake fluid is fine, just do not use silicone fluid.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:02 AM, edwardthomson51@yahoo.com said:

why not use the dot 5 silicone fluid???   it seems to work well in cars not driven daily..... i hear lots of good things from lots of people who have used it....i knot dot 3 and 4 give you problems after a period of time......   what is your concern?  

ed

Most guys who are against it say it doesn't provide as stiff a pedal as dot 3, 4.

Here's some stuff from another forum:

Bryonl, 11/27/2011, VMF

Avoid DOT 5 fluid.
The DOT 2 spec is for drum brakes and is obsolete. If you have any DOT 2 in your garage, throw it away! DOT 5 is for silicone brake fluid. Silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) should be avoided because it is not compatible with regular brake fluid, it is hard to pour without introducing bubbles and thus results in soft pedal feel, and moisture still gets into your system and will pool in low areas like your calipers and encourage rapid corrosion. STAY AWAY!
That leaves DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. These fluids are compatible with each other and may be interchanged or mixed with no ill effects.

I am an aircraft hydraulic system mechanic and just wanted back up info. on DOT 5 fluids and the moisture problems it has and discourage its use as quickly as I could.

Ivy66gt

The reason the military uses DOT 5 is because it’s good to -40 F. You aren't likely to drive much in that kind of weather. The military has also considered giving it up and using more normal fluids. If that happens then the entire DOT 5 market will likely collapse and it will only be a memory.
As you go up in altitude the bubble and spongy pedal problems get worse. Its not just bubbles from pouring; at high altitude the bubbles can form on their own. A DOT 3/4 fluid actually works better with initial moisture contact. It has additives that absorb up to a few percent of water and make it harmless. DOT 5 allows any water to puddle and cause rust. Its only after the DOT 3/4 gets more water than it can handle that water becomes a problem. The answer is: Change your DOT 3/4 brake fluid often, BMW says every year. And BMW, don’t spill any of its as its not good for paint.

The DOT 5.1's are not the same stuff but are more like conventional brake fluid except with higher boiling points.

MACH 1......I RESPECT YOUR INFO HERE ......I HEAR SO MANY PEOPLE TALK ABOUT YEARS WITH DOT 5 AND NO PROBLEMS AND I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND WHAT DOT 3 AND 4 DO TO WHEEL CYLINDERS IN A COUPLE OF YEARS......I HAVE TO ADMIT I HAVE NEVER CHANGED MY BRAKE FLUID EVERY YEAR EVER IN ANY CAR .... ITS NOT A HABBIT I HAVE AQUIRED I GUESS.....MABEY I HAVE TO START DOING THAT.....BUT CHANGING DOT 5 EVERY 2 YEARS -WOULDNT THAT BE A BETTER CHOICE WITH LITTLE DRIVING TIME ON MY VINTAGE MUSTANG??  SINCE ITS NOT A DAILY DRIVER ??

YOUR THOUGHTS?

ED

A couple of people with pretty good credentials (Barnett and Bryonl) say not to use it. I doubt any of us would be using it at -40F so the only thing its got going for it is that it doesn't attack paint (which I really like). On the negative it has the soft pedal which can increase with altitude, and the corrosion problem. Personally my brake fluid only gets changed occasionally, hasn't been spilled on the paint and so far hasn't been a problem (knock on wood). I guess it depends if you drive at altitude, drive it a lot and need frequent maintenance, or intend to change the fluid often. I don't do any of those things, probably like you Ed, so it just doesn't matter: