copb8

Is there a market for a rebuilt FMX

I'm toying with the idea of installing an AOD but I just spent $1700 rebuilding my FMX and hate to throw that money away. It shifts absolutely beautifully now and the only reason to consider an upgrade is for better higher speed cruising while not losing my low-end grunt. I could also install an aftermarket OD unit but they're almost as expensive and seem a bit of a patch.

So the question is, is there a market for a rebuilt FMX? 

I sold my FMX with all related parts except the driveshaft back about 5 years ago for I think $600.  It had a performance rebuild on it a few years earlier and was in good working condition. Since yours is a new rebuild I think you would get a better price.  I bought a big plastics container for shipment from lowes. It worked great and was was just the right size.

15 minutes ago, Alan_Mac said:

I sold my FMX with all related parts except the driveshaft back about 5 years ago for I think $600.  It had a performance rebuild on it a few years earlier and was in good working condition. Since yours is a new rebuild I think you would get a better price.  I bought a big plastics container for shipment from lowes. It worked great and was was just the right size.

Yuck! I'll have a hard time throwing away +-$1000 after just having it rebuilt. 

Those are good transmissions.  Fairly tough in stock form and can take quite a bit of abuse.  I'm sure there is a market for them, but I wouldn't expect to get what you have invested in it.  Not because it's an FMX, but because that's the nature of this hobby.  You'll have to wait for somebody that prefers more stock and a direct replacement parts and doesn't want all the issues and basically "side effects" that come with altered or modified stuff. 

What gear ratio do you have in the rear axle?

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Those are good transmissions.  Fairly tough in stock form and can take quite a bit of abuse.  I'm sure there is a market for them, but I wouldn't expect to get what you have invested in it.  Not because it's an FMX, but because that's the nature of this hobby.  You'll have to wait for somebody that prefers more stock and a direct replacement parts and doesn't want all the issues and basically "side effects" that come with altered or modified stuff. 

What gear ratio do you have in the rear axle?

I have 3.5 now but am considering going to 3.25 or 3.0 if I keep this gearbox as is. If I upgrade the transmission or OD then I'll leave it alone.