rmarks

Steering Box to Exhaust Manifold Clearance Issue

I have a clearance issue with my driver's side exhaust manifold (351W 4V engine) hitting the steering box (see pics) causing some vibration at times through my steering wheel.  I changed the motor mounts and still have the issue. The steering box was changed awhile back with a rebuilt unit.  Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do to about it?

IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

This one looks simple, that is the wrong exhaust manifold.  Here's an image I found.  The bottom manifold is the left (drivers) side and the top manifold is the right (passenger) side.  I wonder if somebody installed 289 or 302 manifolds on a 351W.  If so, both are wrong as the 351W manifolds have a larger flange for a larger exhaust pipe.

See the source image

45 minutes ago, Midlife said:

You can always consider switching engines to an inliner 6 cylinder...

I don't think so ;).  Thanks for the replies.  I guess I need to search for some new manifolds, or headers.

or... perhaps.... switch to rack and pinion steering?  Get rid of the box?   I am "just sayin" as it goes.  The correct manifold is always a good idea, but this could also be fixed by getting rid of the box and switching to R&p, in case you want another idea? 

If your car has factory power steering long tube headers are a challenge to fit.  A drop bracket is needed for the power steering hydraulic cylinder.  The low cost drop brackets add significant leverage on the frame rail and over time pulls out or strips the nut inserts in the frame.  There is an expensive drop bracket sold by West Coast Classic Cougars that helps prevent that from happening.

The JBA short headers fit without any issues.  The FPA long tube headers are very nice, but also very expensive.  Many use Hedman Elite series headers.  I couldn't tell you how well they fit.

One drawback with headers is they add significant heat to the engine compartment.  They also increase the interior noise from exhaust, but, most of us don't care about that.  If your motor is stock and you plan to keep it that way I think I would consider stock exhaust manifolds and a good dual exhaust with an X or H pipe.

If you interested. found an old set of exhaust manifold in the corner of garage, came off of 69 GT-350.  Removed back around mid 70's replaced with header.  Will let go for $200 for the pair plus exact shipping cost. PM me if interested.  P.S. you might have to re-do the pipe, because this might not fit your existing setup.  

PXL_20201115_194712136.jpg

7 hours ago, dream car said:

If you interested. found an old set of exhaust manifold in the corner of garage, came off of 69 GT-350.  Removed back around mid 70's replaced with header.  Will let go for $200 for the pair plus exact shipping cost. PM me if interested.  P.S. you might have to re-do the pipe, because this might not fit your existing setup.  

PXL_20201115_194712136.jpg

Dream car,

I can't make out the part number on the driver's manifold, but the passenger side is D30E, which is for a 1973.