1969_Mach1

Brake Lines

1969_Mach1, I have used it on the rear lines on my 69 Coupe & I have made several lines for my 2000 Ranger 4x4. The copper-nickel line bends & flares very easily. I have not had any problem with any of my flares cracking. I am also going to be using it for my fuel lines on the 69 Coupe also.

Thanks for the input.  I'd use stainless steel but I don't have a hydraulic or a Turret style flaring tool.  I have a decent flaring too I purchased a long time ago from Snap-on but it's not capable of flaring stainless steel.  I've read some small issues with the copper-nickel because it's so soft, like it will easily dent or bend.  The current steel lines were installed in 1978 and look good.  I'm changing them merely because the end of one has been bent several times to align it at the master cylinder and two others could be a little longer for better fitment.  I think I'll go with steel lines again.  They should last another 30 years plus I have the tools to work with it.

Cunifer tubing is an outstanding choice for brake and fuel lines and is considered the "elite" material in the modern extreme performance and luxury car world today.  Several manufacturers use cunifer tubing exclusively and many of the top-tier custom builders around the country use it daily.  It is equally corrosion resistant as stainless and when polished is difficult to tell the difference between it and stainless.  Unless you have a desire for the specific aesthetic appearance of stainless, cunifer is the best choice from all other mechanical perspectives (ease of flaring, ease of bending, no worry of cracking at the flare and/or work hardening, more vibration resistant, etc.) and it can be "worked" with conventional flaring tools, benders & cutters with far greater success than stainless in the average home shop.  Beyond that, it's actually kind of "fun" to work with too!

I see all the benefits of the copper nickel tubing.  For this time, I think I'll go with the steel again.  Like I mentioned, It still looks good since being installed in 1978, a coupe of them could be a little longer for better routing which is why I am replacing them.

My only concern with the copper nickel is this, I finished the restoration of my 1969 Mach 1 back in about 2000.  Since then as part of preventative maintenance I replace wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and calipers on occasion. and also flush the brake fluid.  I don't want to wait for something to leak and dump brake fluid all over.  I expect to also do this on this 1956 F100.  I don't know how many times a soft copper tube end will survive installation and removal.