Sign in to follow this  
Phils69

Rear Suspension Ground Clearance

I am starting to mock up my generic triangulated four link rear suspension and I am not happy with the ground clearance I am seeing. It looks like I would have only 5" under the front lower control arms to ground. I guess this is normal from a lot of the pics I am seeing online. I think I am going to make some brackets to raise it on the same plane as my Global West subframe connectors. I just don't like the idea of something hanging that low in front of the rear axle. Am I freaking out for nothing??

I pulled my mock setup out but here is a pic of the setup assembled to a rear clip.  The kit I have is a generic less the shocks but on any car the lower control arm from the center of the axle would be the same distance I am thinking. Looks like the kit is designed for a crossmember style front support for the lower arms. I am going to make a bracket to move the lower control arm over closer to the axle and tie the front connection point in near where the existing front leaf spring bracket is.  I have decided to keep the bracket from the kit that holds the lower ar and sway bar, going to cut off the bottom and make that just the sway bar bracket.

rearclip1-852.jpg

Here is what I have made to raise the lower arm well higher than the pic. It will tie the front in near where the existing leaf spring bolt point is but drop thye arm until it it level to ride height per the instructions. It will use the 1/2" bolt thru the leaf spring point and the front will be welded to the bottom of the rear torque box.  I made a bracket for the rear that will have a pin in it to locate and center itself off the existing leaf spring bracket on the axle. It will use a 5/8-11 bolt through the axle bracket and the original u-bolts to the axle. I just feel better with this stuff up higher near the subframe brackets. Please forgive the welds, I'm definetly not a pro lol. Any thoughts? 

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG