mark69sportsroof

Horn Randomly Goes On and Off

Hi Everyone,  the horn has started to recently started to go on and off while driving it on my 69.  I have the Grant steering wheel with no other problems.   Seems like I read before about putting tape over some screws underneath the steering wheel.  Does anyone have a picture of how to do it?  Thanks Mark 

The tape keeps the turn signal from shorting out.  simply remove the steering wheel, then pull the turn signal switch over and cover the rivet heads with electrical tape.  Best to do this with the battery disconnected.

3 hours ago, Mach1Rider said:

Also use swab to put a LITE coat of grease on the horn ring where the button ride in, A dry ring will cause the button to drag and sound horn.

I'm not sure how that would work- we have two contacts onto two slip rings- power into the switch, and then one out to the horns, which go to ground. I can see the need for some form of lube on the rings because its metal pressed against metal, and I can see how the circuit may "open", but not "close" from one slip ring path to the other. The problem has to be in the rim blow switch. I replaced two over the years that both shorted (so horn was on) and finally gave up and made the center medallion contact a switch below it when pressed. I haven't had a problem in probably 35-40 years now.

Thanks everyone.  I took the steering wheel off today.  The white turn signal switch has some fine shavings inside the steering column housing.  The back of the steering wheel has a copper plate.  It appears the 2 have been rubbing.  Is that normal?  Do I take the switch off and rap behind it? Thanks Mark

KIMG0646.JPG

KIMG0647.JPG

just in general, machines should not generate shavings - ever.  You need to find out what is interfering and eliminate it - it could just be "tolerances" on your 3rd party wheel so it might not be a big deal, but you don't want those shavings around the steering wheel.  They can get into other joints and cause some real wear problems.

The contacts circled are where the shavings are coming from - there should be rounded smoothed edges where these make contact.  Looks like they are scraping a jagged edge somewhere on the wheel

image.thumb.png.5f1242721f38a5a3fcc08b5198d5cb92.png

Do you have a locking steering wheel when your key is turned off and removed? I had this same problem and the pin of the lock was interfering with my after market steering wheel and hub that wasn't designed properly for it (Scott Drake). It wasn't retracted enough when in the on position. I tried removing the pin but that proved much more complicated than I wanted to dive into so I shaved the tip instead. Now everything works normally.

No the steering wheel does not lock.  It appears it was install correctly from what little instructions there are.  I had my mechanic look at it and he couldn't determined what caused it.  So he filed down the two pins just short of making contact with the round copper plate.  So far so good.  Thanks for the input.  Mark

I had the same problem and was also blowing fuses. Mine was related to a thick wire that needs to be clipped off the grant adapter for certain installations. 

Also, you should smear dialectic (sp?) grease all over the copper ring to allow the copper pins to travel over the service smoothly.

mine has the same shavings from running dry like yours. 

edit: I also had my wheel on too tight.