jjstang

Painless or American Autowire update

Time to make the decision.  It appears painless is more expensive with original colors, aww has extra circuts and comes with switches and the wires are labeled? .....

I'm not a neophyte but I never replaced the whole thing,

So what are your experiences/opinions. 

My 2 cents.  I installed a Painless universal 28 circuit kit in another project, 1956 Ford F100.  The quality is good, I'm happy with it.  I like the fact that Painless uses OEM fuse boxes even though they are GM fuse boxes instead of some one-off custom made-for-them only type.  Painless also puts the flashers in the fuse box.  I've noticed AAW doesn't do that.  

1 hour ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

My 2 cents.  I installed a Painless universal 28 circuit kit in another project, 1956 Ford F100. 

So not only you have the best looking car ever, you have the best looking pickup ever. I'd love to see some pics of your 56. Maybe we need a thread in the Garage forum about members other cars. 

I used an AAW kit on my ‘65 El Camino. Instructions were straight forward. Did it in sections. Wasn’t rushed, never kept track of time. 

When I bought it Painless didn’t offer a kit. AAW had a seminar at Syracuse the year before I attempted it. 

24 minutes ago, RPM said:

So not only you have the best looking car ever, you have the best looking pickup ever. I'd love to see some pics of your 56. Maybe we need a thread in the Garage forum about members other cars. 

Not to steel this thread, sorry, but yeah.  The 69 Mach 1 I inherited back in 1995 when one of my brothers passed.  He had it only a month so it was disassembled down to the shell and on dollies when I got it.

The truck has been in the family since about 1978.  It's an older restoration we did.  I used it back then from about 1982-1986 then my oldest brother had it.  I got it back about a year ago after he passed.  It sat garaged and has not be run or driven driven since 1986.  I've been working on getting it running and driving again.  A lot happens when they sit that long.  Fortunately it only had about 200 miles on it when it was garaged in 1986.  And the garage was closed most of the time.  It has a 390 and C6 trans.  I've had to do a lot of cleaning and freshening up plus replace or rebuild stuff that you wouldn't expect to deteriorate.  Unlike Mustangs parts are very hard to find.  Except for sheetmetal, most of the original type parts are not reproduced.  I'm finishing going through the hydraulic portion of the brakes. Then a few more things like exhaust, fuel tank and fuel lines, and radiator before it will run and drive again.  I don't know where to upload a picture of it on a Mustang site.

Never used both kits, but I have herd both good and bad reviews. still using my original wire harness but luckily the wires look great and haven't given me issues, though in the future I would like to convert the fuse box to accommodate modern fuses. 

wasn't there a site that restored and/or converted the original wire harness to modern fuses? I remember it reading about here or on VMF, would any happened to remember the site?  

I went with the AAW kit, very happy. They use a GM fuse block that has the flashers on it. The extra circuits are great and they have good features like power to the trunk for led lights, and a 3rd brake light wire. They have instructions for a dakota digital dash. All in all very happy.