Len69Coupe

Stripes for a coupe?

So I'm at the stage of deciding on stripes or not. Car will be same color as before (burnt orange/copper) and I bought white paint initially to do Le Mans stripes. Now after more research I've read Le Mans stripe don't look that great on 69's though. I think they look good on the blue car posted, but it's not a good pic looking down the hood. I do not have a hood scoop like the blue car.

I've also thought of these larger stripes like on the gold car. I have no idea on the dimensions for those though.

It had these ridiculous stripes on it when I bought it. Don't know what the PO was thinking. 

Anyone have good pics of a coupe with Lemans stripes? Opinion's on Lemans on 69's?

Lemans with thin stripes.jpg

Big stripe 1.jpg

100_1395.JPG

Stripes are a personal taste kinda thing. They look fine on 69s just not my taste. That gold car looks pretty sharp, more of a 70 style stripe. I say if you're considering stripes look at as many online as you can. If you see something that talks to you, duplicate it, if not don't do them. I didn't like the rocker stripes on my 06 so I took them off, however, I created rocker stripes for my 69 I will have done.

I didn't even realize the gold car was a 70 style. I thought it was a more modern design. I showed it to the wife and got a mixed response though. I think it looks pretty good and will still consider that design. 

rmarks, your search skills are definitely better than mine. I found everything but the pics I was looking for, lol. Those are some great examples. I can see where the stripes on the crown of the hood kinda looks weird looking from the side on the 69. Overall I like the look though.

Thanks for your thoughts fellas.

My painter (son) did this to his Mustang a few years back. Unfortunately he lost it shortly after. He added twin turbos and was out testing them and it caught fire.  He thinks it was an injector, but was never really sure. He had forgotten his fire extinguisher and still kicks himself over that.

Bobbies Mustang.jpg

Bobbies Mustang2.jpg

IMO I think they work well with early model fastbacks/coupes, but never liked them on 69-70 mustangs as I was used to seeing the matte hood and trunk ( i.e Mach 1/Boss). I like that style even more as it had a purpose of blocking the sun hitting the hood and potentially distracting the drivers eyesight. 

12 hours ago, rwcstang said:

IMO I think they work well with early model fastbacks/coupes, but never liked them on 69-70 mustangs as I was used to seeing the matte hood and trunk ( i.e Mach 1/Boss). I like that style even more as it had a purpose of blocking the sun hitting the hood and potentially distracting the drivers eyesight. 

Yep, that's what I had read. Not a lot of 69/70's around here so I can't say I'm used to the blacked out hoods. I have a couple weeks to decide since my painter is on the road. The more I look at the Le Mans the more I get used to them. Of course I got used to the stripes I had before, even though they were horrible, lol.

8 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

What about a single offset stripe ? Thinking about doing it if I get rid of my shaker. 

That would be different. You're not worried it would throw of the visual balance of the car. I've seen some cars like that and they didn't look bad.

2 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

That would be different. You're not worried it would throw of the visual balance of the car. I've seen some cars like that and they didn't look bad.

Not at all. Don’t see how it would. Balances out no passenger on that side. Continues the driver along the drivers side. 

On 10/28/2020 at 9:04 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

If you are undecided and want to try several looks, you could always use wrap material, then if you don't like it or want to change just peel it off.

That's really cool. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do that though. It'd probably be easier than what he did though since I don't have a hood scoop.  Good thing about that is it's not permanent and I could change it if I didn't like it.

22 hours ago, 1969vert said:

how about 428 style on the hood.. and boss type down the side... did this a few years ago

DSC00441.JPG

I do like those hood stripes.  I've never been a big fan of the stripes on the side though.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:11 AM, 1969vert said:

here is my vert..nothing on the side.. a little  narrower and tighter than the 70.

I do think the scoop helps a lot.

2014-09-14 16.48.40.jpg

That's a perfect stripe for the 69 right there.  Very well done!!  Best I've seen

On 11/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, 1969vert said:

here is my vert..nothing on the side.. a little  narrower and tighter than the 70.

I do think the scoop helps a lot.

2014-09-14 16.48.40.jpg

1969Vert, nice looking Mustang.