Mach1 Driver

Sequential tail lights for a 69

I don't like the look of a flat panel LED board. To me it looks "pixelated" for lack of a better term. There are hot spots where every LED resides. So far I haven't seen anyone defuse the light to get rid of the hot spots, or I would go with the flat board.

Scott Drake has a sequential turn kit that uses three bulbs, link below. I know its a long shot, but has anyone tried this? 

The housing needs separators so there isn't light bleed over from the other bulbs. An incandescent bulb, or plasma bulb will broadcast light in 360 degrees, but a flat panel LED board could have a beam angle as low as 4 degrees, or almost straight out the back.

If I were doing this I would use WCCC Plasma bulbs to give much more light but they use only 15% of the power. Why over-stress a 50+ year old system?
https://www.mustangsplus.com/1969-Mustang-Sequential-Turn-Signal-Tail-Light-Kit.html

Ok, so the pixelation didn’t bother me till you pointed it out. Now I notice it on all the newer cars. 
I watched the wccc video about the plasma bulbs. They were so bright you can’t see if the pixelation is present. I will say the old led seemed darker red. I’m sure the lens affects the red and pix. I wonder if adding a another red filter would defuse the pix and make more red. Just thinking out loud. Update us if you make a purchase. 

7 minutes ago, jjstang said:

Ok, so the pixelation didn’t bother me till you pointed it out.

LOL, sorry. I've had occasion to design a few small indicator light lenses, so I notice that sort of thing.The three bulb method I mention would actually be more expensive (when using plasma bulbs) than a flat LED board, but if anyone tries it, I sure would like to see it. I can think of a couple of different ways to possibly diffuse the light for a flat board, but I haven't tried anything yet.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:31 AM, Mike65 said:

Shep69 when I get to the point of assembling my 69 Coupe I am going to use https://vintageleds.com/ for the tail/stop lights, parking/turn signals, & the reverse lights.

I went with VintageLeds, you don't get the pixelized dots like the other brands. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.08.43 AM.png

2 hours ago, rwcstang said:

I went with VintageLeds, you don't get the pixelized dots like the other brands. 

Thanks for the picture. Interesting- why do you suppose that is? Are they so bright that it washes out the hot spots? Can we assume that it is that way in person, and not just on camera, and that you have stock lenses? If so that's very good news.

6 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Thanks for the picture. Interesting- why do you suppose that is? Are they so bright that it washes out the hot spots? Can we assume that it is that way in person, and not just on camera, and that you have stock lenses? If so that's very good news.

the picture above are with stock lights and brakes not applied. ill try to take some in the day/night time if you like.

they are not your typical LED Bulbs and his products has a turn dial do control the speed of the sequential lights and has the option to turn this feature off if you want to look "Original"

He even makes then tough against the elements.

Definitely worth the price IMO

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 7.41.17 PM.png

8 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Doesn't the SMD has wider angle? That may be the reason why it does not show pixelated. Also, SMD do not have the optical magnifier.

6 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Doesn't the SMD has wider angle? That may be the reason why it does not show pixelated. Also, SMD do not have the optical magnifier.

I've seen a wide range of specs- 10, 30, 60, 120, and previously all I've seen have been pixelated. It would be most apparent with just the lights on without brake/turn.

8 hours ago, rwcstang said:

Just realized I had a some night shots.

Its still a bit difficult to see; what is needed is just the lights on, no brake/turn and a straight shot directly behind one lens. I saw something but it may have been the fresnel pattern on the inside of the lens. Again, thanks for the trouble.

4 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Its still a bit difficult to see; what is needed is just the lights on, no brake/turn and a straight shot directly behind one lens. I saw something but it may have been the fresnel pattern on the inside of the lens. Again, thanks for the trouble.

yeah, sorry about that. ill try to take a picture tonight or tomorrow.

I too installed the Vintage LED set up recently.  You can see it is pixelated some compared the stock bulb with just the lights on. But as bright as they are, I should have done it much sooner and VERY HAPPY with the quality and ease of install of the Vintage LED product.  I did the front turn signals and back up lights as well.   Here is a quick video as well of the, it does flare the camera a little as bright as they are, but I love the setup.  I also like that when you hit the brakes it can do just solid and on sequential.  

20200523_111002 (1).jpg

11 hours ago, SM69Mach said:

I too installed the Vintage LED set up recently.  You can see it is pixelated some compared the stock bulb with just the lights on. But as bright as they are, I should have done it much sooner and VERY HAPPY with the quality and ease of install of the Vintage LED product.  I did the front turn signals and back up lights as well.   Here is a quick video as well of the, it does flare the camera a little as bright as they are, but I love the setup.  I also like that when you hit the brakes it can do just solid and on sequential.  

20200523_111002 (1).jpg

I’m sold. Just another job to do now . Lol. 

8 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I’m sold. Just another job to do now . Lol. 

Didn't mean to give you more work, HAHA.  Good thing is, its not a hard job!  I am very happy and actually feel safer on the road, as I have heard many stories of people not being able to see the brake lights on our older cars.  

I have all of VintageLED lights throughout my car, including corner, reverse and park, and the quality has been perfect. I had some internal wiring issues to resolve from the previous owner but Gary worked tirelessly to helped me out.

If there was one very small thing I wish was different and that's the application of the brake lights. When you press the brakes both lights come on immediately and simultaneously as expected but 'sequentially' across each unit. I wish it would just come on with 100% of the bulbs instantly. 

1 hour ago, copb8 said:

I have all of VintageLED lights throughout my car, including corner, reverse and park, and the quality has been perfect. I had some internal wiring issues to resolve from the previous owner but Gary worked tirelessly to helped me out.

If there was one very small thing I wish was different and that's the application of the brake lights. When you press the brakes both lights come on immediately and simultaneously as expected but 'sequentially' across each unit. I wish it would just come on with 100% of the bulbs instantly. 

If I remember correctly there is a dip switch that you can flip or a dial you can turn that will be full on for brake and not sequential, unless you tap the brakes quickly.  That is how mine are, as I did not want sequential on the brake lights, only on the turn signal.  I added the instructions from Gary below.  

Installation Instructions for 1969.pdf

Well that's bad on me and good on Gary. Now the problem is that the lights are sealed into the rear of the car and removing them is a huge pain because I used a silicon sealer with the gasket.

Oh well, at least I know that if I ever have to get in there and can change it. Thanks for the instructions.