Busch

69 Tach Options

I have a 69 Mach 1 without a factory tach. My car currently has an autometer mounted on the column hooked to a MSD 6AL. The problem with the current setup is the tach is not particularly easy to see, and if I move it up further on the column it blocks the other gauges in the dash. Seems like an in dash tach would be the way to go.  I poked around the internet a little bit and did not find anybody making reproduction in dash tachs for these cars. Should I start looking for a donor tach from an original tach equipped car? I'd like to stay with the original look

Changing to factory tach gets real expensive real fast: the tach dash clusters run $1000 plus.  Then you have to change all the wiring forward of the tail-light harness.

No one makes (yet) a conversion tach that is plug-n-play into the standard 69/70 dash cluster.  Too bad you don't have a 71-73: that option is available. 

As an option, all be it an expensive option, is Dakota Digital's Retro Tech for around $1300. It is intended to have the look of stock gauges and includes: speedo, tach, oil, water, fuel, and volts in analog and digital, along with some fancy timing features you would expect from a digital product. It won't require all the harness changes that Midlife mentions above.

As midlife said it can get expensive.  I bought a set of 1970 tachometer deluxe gauges (minus the speedo since I had one) on Ebay for ~$500 a few years ago.  I bought the tach printed circuit from NPD.  I had Redline Gauge Works convert the the tach to modern internals (I believe VDO) to run directly from my FAST Hi 6 CD ignition box.  It looks factory stock and works great.  

I have a non-tach 69 Mach1 too, and I picked up a tach dash on eBay. I had all the gauges and tach rebuilt by Tachman and then installed it per the instructions on the Boss302.com website. Look it up under the "Tech Articles" link on that website. Was relatively easy to do and it works fine.

I was in the same dilemma, so I decided to make my own using a Bosch FST-7906 tachometer. I wanted it to look somewhat stock so I made my own gauge face and added a 1966 Mustang Rally Pac center dial. I actually have it mounted to the left side of my steering column now so it doesn't cover up any of the other gauges. Total cost was less than $50.

20180826_094441.jpg

20180826_095457.jpg

20180826_101945.jpg

56 minutes ago, BlueCoupe said:

It's printed on https://www.papilio.com/inkjet waterproof adhesive film media.html but any vinyl sticker should work. I just used my home inkjet printer. I used vectr.com to make the gauge face. 

Very nice BlueCoupe,  I think you should sell for $10 each include first class shipping, since you got 5 extra. Maybe you need to print more?

On 10/24/2020 at 6:06 PM, Boss429Dreamer said:

I have a non-tach 69 Mach1 too, and I picked up a tach dash on eBay. I had all the gauges and tach rebuilt by Tachman and then installed it per the instructions on the Boss302.com website. Look it up under the "Tech Articles" link on that website. Was relatively easy to do and it works fine.

I've done one non-tach IP to a factory tach IP conversion on a 1969.  I won't do that again.  There are a lot of wiring changes like Midlife mentioned to get it correct.  Then the speedo, fuel, and temp gauges are unique only to the factory tach IP so are extremely expensive to replace if needed.  The instructions on Boss302.com don't address all the required wiring changes so the alternator light in the factory tach IP will work correctly.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:34 AM, Shep69 said:

You could go for a hood tach . I put one on my 69 and it works great. 

I'd go this option as well if you want something factory on a not factory tach IP.  They are being reproduced and should also work with new electronic ignitions.

1 hour ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I've done one non-tach IP to a factory tach IP conversion on a 1969.  I won't do that again.  There are a lot of wiring changes like Midlife mentioned to get it correct.  Then the speedo, fuel, and temp gauges are unique only to the factory tach IP so are extremely expensive to replace if needed.  The instructions on Boss302.com don't address all the required wiring changes so the alternator light in the factory tach IP will work correctly.

I'd go this option as well if you want something factory on a not factory tach IP.  They are being reproduced and should also work with new electronic ignitions.

Yes, the alternator light doesn't work. But an alternator light or gauge has never helped me neither. And all the wiring changes are done at the plug, other than the one splice that you have to make. And changing all the wiring forward of the tail light harness mentioned by  "Midlife"? Not true.

22 hours ago, BlueCoupe said:

I don't think I can legally sell them unless I removed "Ford". However, I have the word file I used to print them. Just PM me if you want it. Glad to help out

Then don't sell them. Give then away with enough shipping and handling charges to make it work. 

Very nice work btw.

Thank you for all the replies. I ended up finding a place in Florida that offers a plug-n-play conversion using an exact looking repro tach made by a company in Pennsylvania. It will allow me to keep my alternator gauge on the left side and also will have the alternator and oil pressure warning lights that function. I don't particularly care about the alternator gauge, but I have a temperature sensor in the console, so adding another temp gauge to the dash doesn't help either. Comes with a 1 year warranty. The conversion is not cheap obviously, but nothing with these cars is. Nearest I can tell, it would be similar price for me to piece all the factory stuff together like Midlife mentioned as this plug-n-play conversion costs.

Also, BlueCoupe.....nice job on that tach. That thing looks great.