Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Need to raise cooling fan/motor 1/2". New Motor Mounts?

I put in the new 24" radiator and big block fan documented in this post but afraid this problem is lost in the noise. 

The fan is hitting the bottom of the fan shroud and there is an inch of clearance at the top. There are two approaches I'm considering.

1. Remove the radiator saddles and affix an insulator and some other way to retain the radiator.
  2. Try putting in new motor mounts in case the old ones have settled and allowed the motor to sag.  

How much change have you all seen in engine height at the water pump/fan from old mounts to new ones?

From your other thread it looks like you have a small block fan shroud and a big block fan.  The small block shroud wasn't designed for an 18" fan.  I have a 17-1/4" clutch fan in my 1969 Mach 1 with a 351W.  Found the used OEM clutch fan on EBay for a Cougar with a 351W and A/C then purchased a new Hayden fan clutch for it.  Apparently Cougars had better cooling setups then Mustangs from Ford.  Even with that, because of my Griffin radiator I had to further slot the shroud mounting holes so it would drop down a little more.

I've seen that video.  But the small block shroud has a 19" dia. fan opening and in theory there should be 3/4" to 1" clear between the tip of the fan blades and the shroud.  So with this setup if everything is perfect there will be 1/2" clear from fan tip to shroud.  If something is out-of-sorts the combination probably won't fit.

13 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

From your other thread it looks like you have a small block fan shroud and a big block fan.  The small block shroud wasn't designed for an 18" fan.  I have a 17-1/4" clutch fan in my 1969 Mach 1 with a 351W.  Found the used OEM clutch fan on EBay for a Cougar with a 351W and A/C then purchased a new Hayden fan clutch for it.  Apparently Cougars had better cooling setups then Mustangs from Ford.  Even with that, because of my Griffin radiator I had to further slot the shroud mounting holes so it would drop down a little more.

I have the big block fan and shroud.  The fan shroud is large enough to for the fan to have .5" clearance all around but the centers are off.

Check your trans crossmember for a little bit of wiggle room.  Lowering the tail shaft a bit may give you the slack your looking for ?  Having said that; I am running a stock set up on my stock 428/shaker car.  Stock radiator,  18.25: fan w clutch and stock shroud.  3/4" clear at the shroud top and 1/4" clear at the bottom.  Roughly centered side to side and still had to fiddle/adj. the shroud to get the 1/4"  clear at the bottom.  All radiator mount rubber pads in place.  Brian

1 hour ago, Brian Conway said:

Check your trans crossmember for a little bit of wiggle room.  Lowering the tail shaft a bit may give you the slack your looking for ?  Having said that; I am running a stock set up on my stock 428/shaker car.  Stock radiator,  18.25: fan w clutch and stock shroud.  3/4" clear at the shroud top and 1/4" clear at the bottom.  Roughly centered side to side and still had to fiddle/adj. the shroud to get the 1/4"  clear at the bottom.  All radiator mount rubber pads in place.  Brian

I have the same fan/shroud combo just on a 302.

5 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I have the big block fan and shroud.  The fan shroud is large enough to for the fan to have .5" clearance all around but the centers are off.

Maybe I missed something, but I briefly looked at your pictures in your other thread.  The fan shroud you have is for a radiator with the lower hose on the passenger side.  To the best of my knowledge big blocks all have the lower hose on the drivers side and the shrouds are made for that.

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Maybe I missed something, but I briefly looked at your pictures in your other thread.  The fan shroud you have is for a radiator with the lower hose on the passenger side.  To the best of my knowledge big blocks all have the lower hose on the drivers side and the shrouds are made for that.

OK then I have a big block fan but a 24" small block radiator and shroud.