Mach1 Driver

Elbow marks on tops of fenders

I'm probably overthinking this. I asked this on VMF (because it has a lot of traffic) and one person who has had a 69 and older Mustangs doesn't seem to think that the older cars suffer as badly from this as the 69s. I don't know if that is because of the shape of the fender or the gauge of material.

We all know that we need to use multiple fender pads on the tops of the fenders so our elbows don't leave impressions. I am the original owner and know my car still has the original fenders, original paint, and very little rust since it lived for 45 of its 51 years in SoCal. But, I can literally push on the top of the fender with my thumb and see it move, and I do have elbow impressions. Has anyone ever tried to address this with some sort of spray (or something) from the underside? I want to give a new paint job a better chance of surviving my abuse, when I finally have it done.

Someone suggested welding a section from a repop underneath. If I tried that I would probably use some sort of very thick adhesive or silicone instead of welding. In case you are wondering, the fenders are $216 a piece from CJ, so that is an expensive option, but not out of the question.

Any suggestions guys? I know- be careful and don't be a klutz.

12 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I'm probably overthinking this. I asked this on VMF (because it has a lot of traffic) and one person who has had a 69 and older Mustangs doesn't seem to think that the older cars suffer as badly from this as the 69s. I don't know if that is because of the shape of the fender or the gauge of material.

We all know that we need to use multiple fender pads on the tops of the fenders so our elbows don't leave impressions. I am the original owner and know my car still has the original fenders, original paint, and very little rust since it lived for 45 of its 51 years in SoCal. But, I can literally push on the top of the fender with my thumb and see it move, and I do have elbow impressions. Has anyone ever tried to address this with some sort of spray (or something) from the underside? I want to give a new paint job a better chance of surviving my abuse, when I finally have it done.

Someone suggested welding a section from a repop underneath. If I tried that I would probably use some sort of very thick adhesive or silicone instead of welding. In case you are wondering, the fenders are $216 a piece from CJ, so that is an expensive option, but not out of the question.

Any suggestions guys? I know- be careful and don't be a klutz.

then both the repop and your fender will rust with trapped moisture. it is what it is. the top of the fender is flat so it has no support. 

2 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

I've always used a layer of Hush Mat underneath,  then a couple coats of U-Pol. 

Thanks, that sounds interesting- do you do that for sound deadening or dents? Could you be more specific- both companies make multiple products.

2 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

The Hush Mat is similar to Dyna Mat or even Fat Mat.  Not using it for sound deadening  since it's outside,  but for road debris. There's only one type of U-Pol or Raptor that I know of  

OK, U-Pol sells over 30 products but now that I know you mean a bed liner like Raptor that's specific.

What is your preference on Hushmat which sells three basic products in various forms:

Self-Adhesive Butyl- sheets 10"x10"

1/4" Silencer Megabond Thermal Insulating and Sound Absorbing Self-Adhesive Foam

1/2" Silencer Megabond Thermal Insulating and Sound Absorbing Self-Adhesive Foam