Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Electrical problem

I’m having a weird electrical problem I can’t figure out. I’m pretty sure it has to do with 12v switched power. My radio requires a 12v battery power connection and 12v switched connection. For the switched I’m using the yellow black stripe wire originally for the radio. For the battery I’m using green and yellow wire for the clock since I don’t have a clock. When I turn the key on my dash lights turn on and my radio lights up but it acts like it’s not getting enough power. If I disconnect the 12v switched from the radio and connect the radio straight to the 12v battery it come on correctly. My turn signals are also having the same kind of issue. My brake lights and tail lights work. When I turn on my turn signals with any kind of bulb in the plug the green light flashes correctly on my dash but goes really dim and the tail lights don’t flash. It acts like it doesn’t have enough power to make them work. I have led tail lights and have the correct relay but I have tried this with standard bulbs and leds and they both do the same thing. I’ve tested the yellow black stripe wire for 12v switched with a meter and it shows 12.2 volts but with a test light I get nothing. It seems like the issues has to be the same between the two things. All switches are new also and I’ve tested every ground connection with a meter when I installed each one. What can I be missing? 

Check your fuse (upper left), as it controls the yellow/black power for the radio and the power for the turn signal flasher can.  Your LED's may be contributing to the problem.

My guess is that your fuse clips are somewhat corroded which gives a 12 V reading with no load, but with a load the voltage drops down.

Ok so that seemed to be the issue as it fixed 98% of my electrical issues. The turn signals work now as does the radio and my wipers also. The only thing I have now is the emergency flashers. When I push the button in all the way it I can hear the relay clicking but not of the lights flash. The lights on the dash pulse but that’s it. If I don’t push the button in all the way I can get them to work. I’m going to pull the wheel of and see if that’s dirty. Not sure if this is caused by the led’s or not. I only added a relay for the turn signals and had to reverse the polarity to make it work correctly. From what I read the emergency flashers shouldn’t require a relay. 

I got the other relay in today and now everything works. If anyone else has this issue and you have to reverse the polarity of the wires for the turn signal flasher you will also have to reverse the polarity for the emergency flasher. You will also need the two pin relay that has the ground wire coming out of it. Don’t waste your money with the cheap polarity reverse plug just unpin it from the plug and swap the wires to the opposite hole. All lights for the entire car are now switched over to led’s. Thanks for the help Midlife.