prayers1

Key “off” does not turn motor off.

This was happening every now and then, now it’s more often.  When I go to turn the motor off, it keeps running. I have to pull the coil wire to stop it.

Did notice when keyed on the tach isn’t working until I move the ignition key. 

My MSD ignition box red light goes ON when keyed on and OFF with key off. When things start to act up, I put my positive battery wire on and the red light is ON with out turning the key on. 

??????

Edited by prayers1

I have a 68 coupe which has a very similar ignition switch, and what I found with a similar problem was the ignition switch had been replaced at some point and had a bad splice in the back ....it was intermittent and was causing the problem

Was at a NSRA show this weekend and I took an award. ThT evening we had a cruise, but I couldn’t park, the car wouldn’t turn off. Instead on pulling the coil wire, I banged on the solenoid and it turned off. Had to be back Sunday morning by 10 for the award ceremony. Wouldn’t you know it. The gremlin came back. This time when I went to put on the battery pos wire the motor would start to turn. 
I eventually got another Standard Solenoid and problem solved.

Who wound think a 2 week old solenoid went bad already 

Agree with jmlay. I went through 2 of the new AMK 'concours' solenoids in a 4 month period before I replaced them with a Motorcraft. No problems since. Car would start with the AMK and wouldn't release starter unless i ran out and rapped on the solenoid with my knuckles ( got tire of that real quick). :)

..John