newstang

58 Tbird

I bought this ugly thing even though i didn't need it in my way.

I figured its cheap and in good shape might as well.

Problem is anything that needs to be replaced already out values the car.

What you guys think of it?

IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0929.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpeg

IMG_0930.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

75462289_10215391483804981_8307641067537170432_n.jpeg

1 minute ago, Mike65 said:

I like it. The body & most of the interior look to be in good condition.

the body was repainted 15years ago, single stage looks like, the interior is shot. Im afraid that will cost more than its worth. 

Not to mention all the chrome is pitted and bumpers are insanely expensive.

Nice car.  Add a little cream color accent to that blue and it would look cool.  Some even had the roof painted in a lighter color.

The '58 is the first year "Squarebird" and does not share some parts with the later years (59-60)

I hope you have all the exterior trim parts, but those are interchangeable.   The '59 grill is cool, with horizontal bars.  

the '58's have a unique rear suspension with coil springs.  Apparently, they are not the best, and the later years went to leaf springs.

Looks like a fun cruiser, but will be very expensive to restore.

I would take the "Roadkill" approach, and get it running and see if you can drive it.   

Assume it has a 352?    that would be a "H" code.   That was the only engine option in '58.  The '60s had the Lincoln 430 V8 available.  In '58, there was a super rare "G" code that was designed for exported cars.  It is a 332 V8

Yours looks like it has an original Carter 4 barrel carburetor. Nice vintage piece.

My cousin in in the T-Bird club.  This is a great website for the Squarebirds:

https://squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

21 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Nice car.  Add a little cream color accent to that blue and it would look cool.  Some even had the roof painted in a lighter color.

The '58 is the first year "Squarebird" and does not share some parts with the later years (59-60)

I hope you have all the exterior trim parts, but those are interchangeable.   The '59 grill is cool, with horizontal bars.  

the '58's have a unique rear suspension with coil springs.  Apparently, they are not the best, and the later years went to leaf springs.

Looks like a fun cruiser, but will be very expensive to restore.

I would take the "Roadkill" approach, and get it running and see if you can drive it.   

Assume it has a 352?    that would be a "H" code.   That was the only engine option in '58.  The '60s had the Lincoln 430 V8 available.  In '58, there was a super rare "G" code that was designed for exported cars.  It is a 332 V8

Yours looks like it has an original Carter 4 barrel carburetor. Nice vintage piece.

My cousin in in the T-Bird club.  This is a great website for the Squarebirds:

https://squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Thanks! thats a great site. I was thinking of going cheap as possible. i have all the interior, but it needs to be recovered. the chrome scares me. Its all pitted. The bumpers also need rechorme. I hear Keystone does it for less than half the price of everyone else. 

On 10/8/2020 at 10:17 AM, newstang said:

this actually is a nice idea. problem is, dumping $ into this will never pay off.

So use what you have and make it a one off. Unless you have parts and plenty of cash at your fingertips.

I have seen many that do just that, Its not all stock and not over the top modded and still looks cool.

There is that buyer out there that wants the odd driver so people look.

Just an update on this money pit pig. gave it a quick paint touchup, fixed some rot spots, reman the trans and freshened up the 352.

Also did hydroboost because i had an extra laying around. Tomorrow it gets the new radiator and disk brake conversion. So much for just a quick n dirty fix.

I taught my grandson to operate the levers on the forklift and he lowered it while I lined it up/

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg