Rindelmach1

replacing remote & cable for driver side sport mirror

I think the remote is too big in diameter to drill a bigger hole in the housing and pedestal. They made at least two types of remotes, one of which would allow you to pry the pot metal back from the ball at the end of each cable. Then remove the cables from the remote, string them through the housing and pedestal and reattach to the remote. Can  you show a closeup of the remote?  The cable looks longer than the drivers side to me, but someone else should be able to verify

That's the type that is removable. According to what I've read previously, you have to open that slot using a knife, screwdriver, etc. The ball that is swagged to the cable will come out the round opening. According to the person that did it, if you are very careful you can get the cables out without breaking the casting.

I suspect that I would start at the bottom and first get the cable shield loose and out of the casting (in the same manner) and that would take spring pressure off the ball at the cable end. I don't know, but maybe a little heat would help, but you'd have to be very careful. Let us know what works.

also if I remember correctly the cables have to go back in the same hole or the knob won't be in sync with the mirror. This is because the knob housing is clocked to go into door panel housing only one way.