Sign in to follow this  
edwardthomson51@yahoo.com

replacing a 2 spoke steering wheel

i have a plain jane 2 spoke steering wheel that needs replacing.....all vinyl parts that will cost me over 200 dollars in parts to put back together...my question is....has anyone had any luck

going with a aftermarket steering wheel on a 70 mustang coupe?   i know horn issues occur when using the grant wheels.....  any advice on this??   i may just buy the parts and rebuild my 

old one ...but its not cheap......

thanks

ed

I went with a later model Ford wheel I found at a junkyard and are available on ebay.   I have Cruise Control in mine, and I needed the buttons for it.  I think it worked well, I can let you know more about it if interested. 

wheel overall .JPG

Let at forever sharp wheels. That’s what I went with. I can’t tell you how the horn works as I’m 3/4 through my build but I don’t foresee any issues as the quality and fitment is very good. They have tons of different style wheels and you can change the front face of the main ring easily as it just bolts on from the back. I bought mine a couple yrs ago and was less than $100 shipped including the adapter ring or the car. 

https://fssteeringwheels.com

34A8CB8F-2DBE-4A19-93E1-F90A873A1AC8.jpeg

When I did that wheel, I had to make a fixture for the 1969 Mustang horn rings to fit in the 1980 Ford Truck steering wheel.  It can be done.  You can find the wheels on ebay without the cruise control buttons.  The wheel  is a soft leather feel, and about 1 inch less than the 1969 Factory Mustang wheel.. 

On 10/3/2020 at 7:46 PM, danno said:

When I did that wheel, I had to make a fixture for the 1969 Mustang horn rings to fit in the 1980 Ford Truck steering wheel.  It can be done.  You can find the wheels on ebay without the cruise control buttons.  The wheel  is a soft leather feel, and about 1 inch less than the 1969 Factory Mustang wheel.. 

What is the outer diameter ?

The outside diameter is 15.5 inches.   I am looking on ebay, and they are asking way too much money for these.  I might be able to get one for considerably cheaper, if you want to go this route. 

I believe they reproduce the 2 spoke wheel. I have considered getting a new one as mine the horn contact mech in the wheel has gone out (or something else havent dug too far into it yet). I would advise against the Grant wheel. The wood rim looks cool but the horn mech is an issue.

20 hours ago, Mike65 said:

I have the same wheel as danno in my 69 Coupe that I got from him. I do not have cruise control so I am going to replace the horn pad with a standard black one. See attached link.

100_1109.thumb.jpg.cf1641e13d651fc09966cf05914e61a4.jpg

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1980-1986-Ford-Bronco-and-F-Series-Truck-Horn-Button-Black/productinfo/370401/

I might be able to get a standard black one.  Check back in a few days.