Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Convertible top frame rebuild

Has anyone on here rebuilt the frame for the convertible top? What did you do for the frond header when it has some wear to the cast aluminum? I’m thinking epoxy unless there’s a better option. Mine has some wear but isn’t beyond repair like most I have seen. It’s mainly at the front edge only in a few spots. Also how did you replace the tack strip that goes on the header. It looks to have been riveted on but was already worn off of my car when I got it.  I have the new strip but want to see how others have attached it as it’s not regular rivets holding it on. I know on the rear it’s just staples. 

I did not rebuild my frame but I repaired damage a long time ago. My memory is fuzzy but I recall I used body filler to fill the worst of the pitting in the aluminum  and I pop riveted a piece of plastic side molding to replace the tack strip. I don't think there were any replacement tack strips available back then but I found a piece of molding at the auto parts store that was very similar. It held the staples and has served me well for many years so I guess it's ok.

I am planning to use J-B Weld Marine Weld to fill in the corroded areas of the front header  on my 70 vert. Will spot sand blast to clean and get rid of all corrosion, fill them in high then file/sand it.

21 hours ago, Kris said:

I’ve heard quite a few people say not to use body filler on it which is why I was thinking epoxy. Did you drill out the existing stud rivets and just used regular pop rivets? 

Yes, I am sure there are better materials to use - the good news is it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. Because my tack strip was toast, I did what I needed to remove it. I'm pretty sure I used pop rivets to attach the home-made replacement but it's been a long time ago and I was improvising as I went along so the details are lost. I'll check my archives, I may have taken some pictures. I remember being pleasantly surprised that it all worked when I was done - I wasn't sure it would.

I think you and aslanefe have a better approach with epoxy based fillers