aslanefe

An other tire question

I searched the forum and found folks using 275/60 R15 tires on 15x10 inches wheels with 5 inch backspacing on rear of a fastback or coupe without cutting the axle stops and without rolling/trimming the fender lip.,Anybody know if 295/50 R15 works on same wheel without any cutting, rolling, hammering the inner fender etc and without any rubbing? Rear end is original length, and have original leaf springs.

That 295/50-15 is 11.5" wide. 

I have 275/40-18 tires on the back of mine, on 9.5" wheels, and the tires are 10.8" wide.   They have a 5.5" backspace and a 1mm (essentially neutral) offset.  I use stock rear springs.

I lowered the rear of the car about one inch from the picture I have attached.  I also have rolled the inner lip of the rear fender wells, and have ground off my axle bump stops in the rear wheel well.

I feel like I don't have much room on the outer fender side, maybe 1-1/2".  I think I have more room, maybe 2" on the leaf spring side.  Tried to find some pics that would show that.

Based on my install, I think you can probably fit a 11.5" wide tire, but need to pick the backspacing and offset carefully

If you use a 11.5" wide tire, you probably need a 10" wide wheel.    I would say if you use only a 5" backspace on that, you might hit the outer fender lip. 

You should measure your wheel well width at a height of 13" (or half your tire diameter) from the center of the axle.  Jack the car up by the axle on the side you want to take the tire off.  Take the tire off, and lower with a floor jack it until the car is level, left to right (assuming your floor is level).  Measure the width of the wheel well from the inside of the outer fender lip to the narrowest point inside the rear fender at a height of 13" (or half your tire diameter) from the center of the axle.  That represents the top of your tire at the narrowest point.  It could be the bump stop, it could be the inner fender well.  

I tried to keep the tire height near stock, so my tires are 25.7" high.

Hope that helps.

B984900C-9D45-40BB-981C-E9EBB3D55FC7.thumb.jpeg.1c840b6a0bfb031b49ee3a6a13eae8df.jpg

IMG_4229a.jpg

IMG_4803.JPG

wheel_diagram_500-56a956223df78cf772a5fdd8.gif

Oh, duh.  Don't forget to allow for suspension travel when measuring the wheel well width.  Instead of the 13", go up another couple inches.  Depends your spring rate and shocks.....