Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Another wiring question

I’m trying to weed out the last of my engine bay wiring and I have a few left that I don’t know what they go to. I have the ford wiring diagram but it’s not much help on these. So I have a black/red stripe wire that is going to the alternator plug for the alternator harness. It comes out if that plug and is tied to a black wire that has a round terminal on it. The diagram shows the black/red stripe but not the black that’s tied to it but when I look up a picture of an original harness it’s there with the round terminal. My wire was messed up so I had to replace part of the black/red stripe wire with the red and the round terminal as you can see in the picture. Where does this terminal go? The other weird thing I have is on the voltage regulator plug it has an orange, then 2 green/red stripe and 2 yellows wires. The diagram in my manual doesn’t show two green/red stripes. On my green/red stripe wires, one of them has a female bullet connector on it and I can’t find anywhere that shows it’s even supposed to be there or what plugs into it if anything. I know it’s original to the harness but am lost on it. What is it used for? I’m assuming some option my car doesn’t have or something that was removed before I got the car. It’s the plug that circled in the picture. 

3708C087-620B-402F-9E24-8CF4427B1456.jpeg

The green-red wire is for +12 volts when the key is in the start and run position. My car has the same plug on the wire.  I have no idea what it was used for in 1969.  Maybe fog lights?   Rear defogger?  It would make sense to plug in an automatic choke, but they did not have that in 69.  

The black-red strip wire from the alternator is the power out.  If that is what you have circled,  it looks like a tiny 14 gauge red wire.   You need at least a 8 gauge wire from the alternator to the starter terminal.

Sometimes, Ford used a small gauge (18?) black/red wire doubled up with a black wire as ground at the voltage regulator. 

The green/red wire at the voltage regulator with a female bullet was used sometimes for electric choke.  For those wanting to use a RUN-only wire, here it is!

Ok that’s what I was thinking on the green wire but was thunking I was missing something. I think what you are thinking of on the red and black wire is the terminal that comes off the alternator harness. This is on the main under hood harness. The black wire is original so that is the correct size wire. The red one was originally black/red stripe of the same gauge but was damaged so I repaired it with red I had. The second picture shows the other end of the red wire at the alternator plug on the main harness where the alternator harness plugs in. 

A386FD93-2888-4201-BE45-B017F707C0FE.jpeg

68D10BB6-B2C6-4B31-B960-53469054933B.jpeg