Rcodenewf

70 convertible windshield stainless steel moulding question

Just ready to install the wide stainless moulding on top of the windshield pillar. New windshield is in. The assembly manual shows a 1"x1"x 53" foam seal under that wide stainless moulding. Anyone have a pic of exactly how it goes? the manual certainly isn't clear as the foam seal does not look square ...thanks..John

image.thumb.jpeg.99160218686fd75b9af1b06f97ac1c9f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.03af0b4d63ad85ead9494dc62eb47328.jpeg

Here’s a picture I took when I disassembled my car. There’s also a small piece of foam that goes along the bottom of the windshield that goes under the clips. That part is 1/4” thick by 5/16 wide according to the picture I took for reference. 

Kris. Thanks. Do you think that seal is original?

If so they weren't too fussy how they put it on..lol.

I found some goofy stuff on this 70 vert too while disassembling. 

Unfortunately i didn't take pics of that area.

Is that a rubber grommet on the pillar??

No grommet on this one. 

Thank you..John

And i assume the studs on the top moulding goes down through that foam gasket. The foam gasket i found is 1"x1" but certainly will compress down to what u have there 

Yes the seals were original to my car. It’s not really a grommet, it’s basically a spacer to keep the stainless trim at the correct height from what I could tell. There’s one that goes on each side. It almost reminds me of the hood to cowl bumper but looked funny because it’s flat on the one side due to age. I know the original owner to my car and I’m the first person to take it completely apart. It has 53k original miles and was last driven in 1974. 

Here’s a picture I found of the lower foam piece that goes across the bottom. It went all the way across but most of it fell apart when I took the molding off. But you can get an idea from the pictures. 

image.thumb.jpeg.53a2bd8adaf6d0e6079f0ce5908c1a17.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.036e12b3e49251a06cdbb59cbead23a9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4abcbccc4f6cca3802ddcf90dc11dfb5.jpeg

Thanks a bunch Kris. Pics are a big help. I purchased a roll of Air conditioning Unit installation foam from HD. 1"x1" and it compresses quite well so looking at your pics i'll glue it to the roof portion rather than to the moulding as it fits that area well. I pre tested it and it compresses to the thickness of your gasket.

Do you have a few pics of the 'skeleton' of your convertible top? The two small bows are identical but one has the angle brackets with a pin..not sure if it goes 1st or 2nd.

Thanks again...John

Hello Kris. I tried a 1"x1" foam piece used to seal window A/C units . even though it compressed quite a bit and was soft it still didn't let the studs from the moulding drop down far enough to get the nuts on. So i had a roll of 1" x .125 foam sitting around . Closed cell. Seems to have worked like a charm and looks like yours in your photos.

I checked the assembly manual and found the part number for those two rubber bumpers that mount on the windshield pillar and yes, you were right, they are the same part number as the small rubber bumpers that attach to the cowl where the hood sits. All i had to do was to slice them a tad at an angle with a sharp exacto knife to match the angle of the moulding that they were supporting. The factory ford ones were crushed into such compressed state so i'm thinking that the aftermarket ones are a tad tougher and therefore had to be trimmed.

Appreciate all the help..good luck with your project and i'll be following your build! Best regards..John

Not a problem. I figured the 1”x1” foam would be to thick since the original on my car was only 1/8” thick. Good to know that the hood bumpers are the same as I seem to have misplaced one of mine.