prayers1

Modern light for a 69?

Remind us- do you have stock lights now? Did you determine why your lights are browning out, even though you have a "large" alternator? 

IMO, lights that aren't DOT approved are dangerous to you and other drivers. Without a properly tested light pattern they can reflect light back at the driver in fog or rain, or blind oncoming cars. I would check with Daniel Stern Lighting and see what he says. Because of our unique size (5-3/4") we have limited choices, and low volume makes it unlikely that manufacturers will perform expensive testing. I think there is at least one approved LED, but it is multi-faceted like a bug eye and ugly as sin.

There are DOT approved halogens (and they look like a normal headlight), but I am not aware if any HIDs are approved. Halogens have higher power requirements than stock, and LEDs have lower, but I am unfamiliar with HIDs. With a properly wired relay system even halogens should work for you.

I am happy with Halogen lights, but you must have the headlight relays on both the high and low beam for the use of halogens to be of any value.  Without headlight relays, use standard bulbs.   I was amazed at the difference when I added the halogen bulbs and the relays.