Sign in to follow this  
Casgar

Cowl is open...

Whats the verdict for a newbie restorer like myself, repair or replace? The cowl didn't leak until I started removing rust. A new cowl assembly cost 535 USD if I buy from a Swedish supplier. I will buy a batch of stuff from the US soon, so I might get away a little cheaper if I also buy the cowl from overseas and ship everything together. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I need a new phone.

qWQvYPS.jpgu13ETBx.jpg

TNzfLoB.jpg

EAhDznK.jpg

35 minutes ago, RPM said:

Disclaimer: I'm not a body man. Since the lower cowl is not visible, couldn't it be repaired with fiberglass?

Bob, that would be a short term fix and start to leak again eventually. He might as well spend a few more hours and do a permenant fix when he already has the top section removed. The damage on the pictures is nothing compared to the cowl damages I have seen/repaired.

Wow, repair it is I guess. Most time consuming think would probably be around the A-pillar since there are so many creases in different directions. The passenger side is slightly better than the driver side that you see in the picture.

And don't worry ,the windscreen is removed, though it cracked during removal so I have to replace it anway. :(

7 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

He could actually just spread some structural adhesive around the pitted area,  it would hold forever.  The front part of the cowl could be patched. 

Do you have an example on what to search for if I decide to go this route? Chemical metal?