bigmal

Fitting Reverse Sensors to my 69

Hi all, I know this won't be for a lot of people as it really isn't conventional but I've had too many close calls going from my other cars to this one and waiting for the beeps.

I have been looking for options available off the shelf and there was nothing available the would suit the steep angle of the rear valance and I didn't want them hanging off the bumper. 
I'm really happy with how they turned out and they really aren't that obvious if you're not looking for them.

You may also notice the brake light grated into the spoiler. Another move away from convension. 

Reverse Sensors 1.jpg

Reverse Sensors 2.jpg

Reverse Sensors 3.jpg

Reverse Sensors 4.jpg

Reverse Sensors 6.jpg

Reverse Sensors 7.jpg

Reverse Sensors 9.jpg

Reverse Sensors 10.jpg

Reverse Sensors 11.jpg

Reverse Sensors 12.jpg

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Nice work Bigmal. Ya, as we all know the 69 sportsroof is fun to back up. I'm not as smart as you Mal, so I just installed a back up camera that shows on the receiver screen. 20200910_072859.thumb.jpg.c4eb405eea4423a246693b97db33af9e.jpg

Hi Bob, I also added a backup camera a couple of years ago. Mine uses a replacement internal mirror. Very helpful 

2 hours ago, newstang said:

That is a great job. how well does it work?

right now i have a backup camera in all my cars. it just doesnt beep.

2016E211-057E-4EE2-AFC1-720120CCF673_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.375765f9681de06315838466d93116d0.jpeg

Hi mate, it was working very well. As it was a proof of concept I used a very cheap Chinese kit ($16) has now started giving false indications. The depth of the sensors is critical so it doesn't give feedback from the metal tube. I made the tubes on the bench and tested them individually before committing to modifying the valance. I have sourced a better quality kit which I am about to order. Hopefully the these work better then the Chinese ones although probably still Chinese.

4 minutes ago, bigmal said:

Hi mate, it was working very well. As it was a proof of concept I used a very cheap Chinese kit ($16) has now started giving false indications. The depth of the sensors is critical so it doesn't give feedback from the metal tube. I made the tubes on the bench and tested them individually before committing to modifying the valance. I have sourced a better quality kit which I am about to order. Hopefully the these work better then the Chinese ones although probably still Chinese.

everything is made of Chineesium