Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Which is best Thermostat and fan switch combo

351 Cleveland stroked to 408, 515 hp. 
had a 180 T-stat and always ran 185-195 degrees. Long wait at light or racing it would run 205-210. Now switched to aluminum radiator and dual fans. What thermostat and fan combo should I use?

choices are:

195 or 180 thermostat

185 on / 165 off or 195 on / 175 off

210 is not hot and cause for concern. 220 plus is an issue. Had a cooling issue with my 393C and tried several things including dual fans. Dual fans worked at idle but restricted flow to much while running at highway speeds. Long story short I converted to a regular stat and installed a blocking plate (purchased via pantera forum). My issue was tuning and no stat I every bought completely blocked the bypass and I was always recirculating. I also put a restrictor in the heater hose to the core. All good now.

I'd go with the lower temp thermostat.  Running the motor at higher temps increases the possibility of issues like pre-ignition (pinging).  Then retarding ignition timing to prevent or stop pre-ignition further increases operating temps.  Plus, if you get into a situation where the motor actually does overheat you have to worry about piston rings collapsing.  Maybe I'm old school, I don't know why some like to run motors in these old cars at high temps.  It won't be easy to keep a 515 hp motor cool in these small engine compartments.

Candoo- are you referring to the by-pass restrictor plate?? There is also a blocking plate (circular disc) that goes in the block to stop the flow to the water pump outlet for the advance vacuum.
I have the by-pass, but had the wrong t-stat. That might of been my big issue for getting up there in temps. I ordered the correct one from TMeyer racing. What temp does your Cleveland run on an average?

it is a tight engine bay for my type of motor. Trying my best to figure this out.

I agree that I’ll probably go with the 180 stat and 195 fan switch. I don’t mind keeping the temperature in the 180-190’s. Fans will probably never turn off, I really have  no other options beside what I said above

I use a single 16" SPAL heavy duty with a 180 thermostat and an Autocoolguy NB50 PWM controller : very good combo for my 351W - stable temperature 195/200 degrees even with outside air temp of 90-100 degrees