Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Ford Power Steering Pump

When I restored my car 8 years ago, the pump always gave me trouble. It would all of a sudden stop adding power at slow speeds and I would have to crank the heck out of the wheel or it would whine when making a 3 point turn. I have had it rebuilt twice by local shops.

I recently drove my friends 65 falcon and it was like driving Ms. Daisy. Nice! Before I scrap this setup all together, what replacement pump should I look for? My thought is those would be reasonable to swap out and not have to completely change everything. I was thinking something other than Rockauto or Napa but maybe that is the way to go?

Thanks!

If you get one from a parts store, NAPA is probably your best option.  DO NOT turn yours in for a core when you get the new one.  You might need to swap out the housing (cover).  Very often pumps from a parts store do not have the correct return line fitting.  I know from NAPA you can also get a pump without the housing (cover) and install yours.

Aside from the pump, your control valve might be the issue.  Control valves typically cause more problems than pumps.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:33 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

If you get one from a parts store, NAPA is probably your best option.  DO NOT turn yours in for a core when you get the new one.  You might need to swap out the housing (cover).  Very often pumps from a parts store do not have the correct return line fitting.  I know from NAPA you can also get a pump without the housing (cover) and install yours.

Aside from the pump, your control valve might be the issue.  Control valves typically cause more problems than pumps.

That has been rebuilt too but glad you brought that up. Something to look into.

Got the correct pulley on it based on the drive pulley? Also i also have had issues with using power steering fluid in them vs type F trans fluid. Never had an issue with type F and that's all that we used in them in the past. FWIW...John

On 8/31/2020 at 2:01 PM, 69volunteer said:

When I restored my car 8 years ago, the pump always gave me trouble. It would all of a sudden stop adding power at slow speeds and I would have to crank the heck out of the wheel or it would whine when making a 3 point turn. I have had it rebuilt twice by local shops.

I recently drove my friends 65 falcon and it was like driving Ms. Daisy. Nice! Before I scrap this setup all together, what replacement pump should I look for? My thought is those would be reasonable to swap out and not have to completely change everything. I was thinking something other than Rockauto or Napa but maybe that is the way to go?

Thanks!

Having 3 pumps on it so to speak, I would look elsewhere.

First look for lines pinching or collapsing under pressure.

Next is the slave unit adjusted correctly.  If it is check the slave valve plunger for free travel, Fluid flow is key for smooth power assisted steering.