Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Is the Coolant Sensor in enough??

Trying to install a Coolant Sensor for the electric fans. 
I screwed it in as far as I could and I’m getting the same from the plug that was in the same box for the other hole.

It appears that both aren’t threading all the way in, therefore do you think the sensor is in enough for a proper reading. Also besides Teflon tape, what name paste can I use. Thank you!

1F4EDE0A-2925-4558-9109-00F0A147F0A3.jpeg

BE10E6F0-5663-4D93-B4F1-9C568B2255DE.jpeg

E8D478FC-3097-45AF-B020-77C188A82067.jpeg

Ok. Solved my own problem...

I was a little pissed off cause the way things are manufactured these days so I took a 1/2” extension ratchet and put the housing in a vise, used some 3-1 oil and screed the plug as hard as I could all the way in. At this point I didn’t care if I cracked the housing. But much to my surprise it opened it up enough to allow me to tread the sensor in deep enough. Ugh......

Now, what type of paste to use on the threads since I believe Teflon tape will make it a hard fit again

7 hours ago, Midlife said:

If this is an electrical coolant sensor, don't use teflon products on the threads, as the threads are the conductive path to ground.

True, but often something is needed to seal threaded sensors.  With teflon paste you will still end up with a good electrical connection as it only fills the voids unlike teflon tape.

I use this one.  It's for automotive use and much thinner than a general plumbing sealant.

See the source image

If he doesn't want to use that, there is also this which works well on threads.

See the source image

For what it's worth, I just went through the exact same process. I only went hand tight (not vise tight), but did grind down the hole a bit on the inside to "unshroud" the sensor a bit more. Over the course of about 1500 miles of driving, I compared that reading with the EFI coolant sensor I had in the intake and they were always within a couple of degrees of each other. I used the permatex thread sealant and had no issues.