Adam

Fighting a never ending battle

You are fighting typical aftermarket parts issues.  Aftermarket boosters usually do not fit on these cars without issues.  Even the Scott Drake booster is not close enough to original to easily fit and causes fitment issues.  Best to simply get a Bendix booster.

The thickness of the bolt flanges on stock replacement master cylinders vary depending on mfg. and some will not fit without also removing the booster.  At least on my 69 Mach 1, the original Bendix booster and a master cylinder from NAPA auto parts fits just fine.  I can remove and install the master cylinder by itself with leaving the booster in place.

Lastly you need the correct pedal like RPM posted.  Plus a 69 power brake pedal is different than a 70 power brake pedal.  And a 69 Bendix booster is different than a 70 Bendix booster.  Make certain you get matching components.

Maybe this will help clear up some confusion.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=west+coast+classic+cougar+brake+booster+video&qpvt=west+coast+classic+cougar+brake+booster+video&view=detail&mid=0758B131EAFEBC231B100758B131EAFEBC231B10&&FORM=VRDGAR

I watched the video a few times before when I had my 70 Cougar and recently. Always good info from Don.

One thing I noticed is the Bendix Booster is 7" as shown in the photo below. The CSRP kit is the same exact length when measured the same way. I only have the master cylinder that came with the kit to go off of measurement wise so I can't compare it to a original style.  I'm kind of wondering if maybe the drivers side shock tower isn't slightly out of wack? As of now there is no shock tower braces on the car and haven't been since I got the car. At the same time tho it's never been driven without them.

I bought a 9" booster from Pirate Jack not knowing my clutch cable bracket wouldn't fit a 9" and had to return it. I probably have 15 different pedals here to choose from so locating the pedal isn't an issue. I'm not looking forward to ripping everything out again and having to redo it if I go manual brakes. That's why I'm going to stick with what was in there before. All tho!!! I did notice another issue that came up :(. I'm not an expert but I don't think the shaft is supposed to be touching the outside tube in the second pic? I guess that will be another topic I'll have to post about after I get the column sent out to be rebuilt.  Story of my life.

1550107935_t.jpg

IMG_6150.JPG

Loosen the lower and upper steering steering column mounts and readjust the column.  Looks like somebody replaced the steering coupler and did a poor job of realigning everything.

I'd try a different master cylinder from a place like NAPA.  It might fit okay.  You can always return if it's no better than what you already have.

I remember having sudden and complete failure of master cyl in a 69 Javelin back in the day.  When that happened I had to jump a curb and drive down a sidewalk to avoid an accident. (Very scary)  And on another jalopy I drove when I was young and poor, I Had to rebuild a master cyl when one of two seals went bad and left me with only rear breaks.

My pony came with non power breaks. I added power w/front disk. It was well worth the time and money. 

I spent lots of time and lots of money mucking around with aftermarket boosters. The combo I had also could only be removed as a 1 piece master/booster unit, the studs on the booster were too long to allow the master to come off. The master never hit the shock tower but. Went to Ford stuff, slept better at night :)

If it was a manual brake, then perhaps there has been additional reinforcement put on the front of the firewall? Would have to be 1/4 - 1/2" but you never know with 50 year old cars.