Sign in to follow this  
BigDuke6

retrofit roller cam question

I know that when retrofitting a roller cam on a pre-roller cam block, you can either use a spider and dog bone to run a reduced base circle cam OR a reduced base circle cam or a standard base circle cam when using link bar lifters.  This brings me to the comp cams hydraulic cams such as this one:  https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-energy-236-240-hydraulic-roller-cam-for-ford-351w.html#tab2.tab2

does anyone know if this is a reduced base circle or standard base circle cam?

21 hours ago, barnett468 said:

comp cams lifters are crap by the way.

Yes they are.  I have a Comp Cams hydraulic flat tappet cam and lifter kit in an FE motor in another project.  Haven't yet run it and finally adjusting the valves.  Two of the lifters have rock solid stuck plungers.

On 8/23/2020 at 10:45 AM, BigDuke6 said:

I know that when retrofitting a roller cam on a pre-roller cam block, you can either use a spider and dog bone to run a reduced base circle cam OR a reduced base circle cam or a standard base circle cam when using link bar lifters.  This brings me to the comp cams hydraulic cams such as this one:  https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-energy-236-240-hydraulic-roller-cam-for-ford-351w.html#tab2.tab2

does anyone know if this is a reduced base circle or standard base circle cam?

From the description, that seems like a small base circle retrofit cam.

So it is a standard base circle.  I am shopping around getting my engine stroked and talked to a guy who claimed to have built several engines over the years and he assured me that these retrofit cams were reduced base circle cams and whoever told me I could use a standard base circle cam on a 1969 block did not know what he was talking about.  Mild panic set in.  I later called to comp which told me that all these cams are std. base circle cams and a reduced base circle cam would have to be special ordered and that these work in a 1969 block when using link bar lifters (which I have).  I then perused the ford racing parts catalog and noticed this about the X303 cam

The legendary X303 cam developed by Ford Performance for the 5.0L Fox-body Mustang. This cam provides a noticeable power improvement and lumpy idle while maintaining good driveability with a manual transmission. Works well with carburetors or mass air fuel injection.

• Fits 1985 and later 302 roller cam blocks
  • Will also fit 1963-1984 non-roller cam 289-302 blocks when used with hydraulic roller lifters 
  • Will also fit 1994-1997 351W blocks with factory roller cam
  • Will also fit 1969-1993 non-roller cam 351W blocks when used with hydraulic roller lifters

needless to say, this guy will not be building my stroker.  

15 hours ago, BigDuke6 said:

So it is a standard base circle.  I am shopping around getting my engine stroked and talked to a guy who claimed to have built several engines over the years and he assured me that these retrofit cams were reduced base circle cams and whoever told me I could use a standard base circle cam on a 1969 block did not know what he was talking about.  Mild panic set in.  I later called to comp which told me that all these cams are std. base circle cams and a reduced base circle cam would have to be special ordered and that these work in a 1969 block when using link bar lifters (which I have).  I then perused the ford racing parts catalog and noticed this about the X303 cam

The legendary X303 cam developed by Ford Performance for the 5.0L Fox-body Mustang. This cam provides a noticeable power improvement and lumpy idle while maintaining good driveability with a manual transmission. Works well with carburetors or mass air fuel injection.

• Fits 1985 and later 302 roller cam blocks
  • Will also fit 1963-1984 non-roller cam 289-302 blocks when used with hydraulic roller lifters 
  • Will also fit 1994-1997 351W blocks with factory roller cam
  • Will also fit 1969-1993 non-roller cam 351W blocks when used with hydraulic roller lifters

needless to say, this guy will not be building my stroker.  

I've been using the X303 in a 1969 351W for many years with link bar style hydraulic roller lifters (also from Ford Racing).  Works good with no issues.  Everything oils just fine with a stock oil pump.