Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Suspension options

Hello all,

I have been lurking in the forum for awhile looking for some good info on suspension options. I am currently restoring a 69 Mach 1 and am ready to purchase the rear suspension. I was set on the ride tech 4 link, but I want to know what I am doing for the front before I pull the trigger on the back. I am really questioning if I want to keep my shock towers or not? The benefits of keeping them versus the benefits of getting rid of them. I know aesthetics and cost but am looking for a more mechanical answer. The car was wrecked in the front and will most likely be all replaced, I just don’t want to replace with stock stuff and then regret my decision later. I have mini tubbed the back and am going to run a 4 link set up for a wider tire in the back, and want the front to be able to sit correct as well. 

90272E7E-9BF4-43BD-80FD-ACCDC263DD7B.jpeg

FB5CF8CB-76AD-4EC7-8FC5-B23AFAA52B33.jpeg

Thank you guys for the options! The reason I was thinking of going with ride tech was because when at good guys in Des Moines they really sold me on their 4 link. The customer service was helpful when I called and asked all my questions. The main question was running their 4 link that bolts into the front leaf mount and still being able to mini tub. I was assuming that ridetech was a bigger company, is that not the case? I only want to purchase something like this once and really don’t want to skimp. 

Thanks for the help!

Call Shaun at Street or Track and talk to him as well.  Great guy and very knowledgeable and great product.  I am running it front coilover set up and could not be happier.  He never tried to sell me anything, just talked about the advantages of what he offers.  Lots of options out there and good people to talk to.,  Get as much info as you can and decide what is best for you.  Can't go wrong with either of them.

I'm also very close to order suspension for both the front and back. I can share my experience.

The main benefit for removing the shock towers is more room in the engine bay (duh) which would make you possible engine list longer, and easier if you want to build a turbo engine. Other than that there isn't really much difference in performance between a Mustang II-ish suspension setup and one that uses the stock pickup points, though everything is supposedly better than the stock suspension. That is if you want to trust the internet because I don't have any actual experience.

Regarding the rear, the difference between a 4 link or a 3 link/torque arm as I understand it is that the 4 link is better in straight lines and worse in curves and the 3 link/torque arm is the opposite. Not to say that both can work decent in both areas. Here is some pretty good summaries of some regular types of suspensions for solid axles.

Here in Sweden if I want to have the car road legal with suspension othern than the original setup I have to get it inspected during and after the actual build before I can get it approved and registered with the new suspension. The inspector that I've been talking to didn't really like my first suggestion of a 4 link because he said that the arms usually bind at the extremes where as a 3 link or torque arm is virtually bind free. He aslo said that a 4 link will want to steer the rear axle when the car goes through corners. If you turn to the left the rear axle also turns a slight to moderate amount to the left (or right, can't remember), which can make the car harder to handle. His suggestions was to try and keep the self steering in the rear to a minimum and to try and reduce scrub radius as much as possible in the front (that's another story). He has been working as an inspector for modified veicles since at least 2002.

Thank you all for the great advice, unfortunately I would not be able to use the MTF watts link because it slips over the existing frame rails and I have “scooped” mine out to fit the tub in. After talking with a lot of companies yesterday, I have really narrowed it down to 3 options. SorT 3 link, and like everyone on here says, Shawn is a great guy and very easy to talk with. Another option is the TCI torque arm for mini tubs. And somehow the ridetech 4 link will still work with a different weld on bracket for the lowers. I am very skeptical because every other 4 link doesn’t work. The other option is to ditch the mini tubs and not run a wider tire. I wasn’t  budgeting this amount for the rear, I was also planing on shorting my 9” so the dish wouldn’t have to be so deep. This would also save money where I can put elsewhere. Decisions decisions

Whats your intended use and budget? When I was looking I wanted sport feel, comfortable ride, and wider tires.  I didn't want race car stuff I.E. Johnny Joints, solid type mounts and 4k worth of adjustable shocks. 

I went with Detroit Speed, it's a bit more labor intensive on the install but sill doable for a novice.

13 hours ago, jeff69 said:

Whats your intended use and budget? When I was looking I wanted sport feel, comfortable ride, and wider tires.  I didn't want race car stuff I.E. Johnny Joints, solid type mounts and 4k worth of adjustable shocks. 

I went with Detroit Speed, it's a bit more labor intensive on the install but sill doable for a novice.

I am kind of in the same boat as you, I want a better look, ride, and the possibility of auto crossing. That is not something that I do now, but I have a few friends who do. I don’t have a set budget, but in my head I was thinking 5-6k for front and rear suspension. 

On 8/19/2020 at 2:12 PM, mustangstofear said:

if you ever build another one and use our mini tubs , no modifications to the framerails or interior are necessary :)

I definitely should have done my research before getting my mini tubs! It was a lot of work to cut the rails and keep everything straight.

Well I did run into another issue.... I hit a deer on my way to work yesterday. It’s funny how you get going on a project and have funds set aside and just trying to make a good decision and something like this happens. I am very lucky that I was driving my expedition. My passenger airbag went off but not my drivers... weird

9CEDEACE-13D9-4133-8196-84D121C120EC.jpeg

1 hour ago, RogerC said:

That sucks. I'm pretty paranoid about hitting a deer or coyotes on the way to work as I'm on the road so early.

I am also. I leave for work at 3:45 am. I live in Iowa and they have been thick this year. 

On 8/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, 1969vert said:

ok do tell..69 side scoops with 70 taillights.. what year is it?

Good eye, it is a 69 Mach 1 that was wrecked, the previous owner cut the entire rear off a 70 and welded it to the 69. You can see in the picture where the paint is taken away over the fender where one of the cut lines were. 

A1224D39-C0CC-41DB-B1C6-FFB388C6839B.jpeg