Sign in to follow this  
Msflanag

Question on ford 5spd or new tremic

Hi everyone,

new to the forum. Just bought a 69 fastback won on bring a trailer. Long time car buff. And old. Looking to make the 69 more drivable on freeway for me and my wife who is petite. The Five Spd and hydraulic clutch will go a long way to benefit both our comfort levels. My research shows that the older ford 5 spd will fit on the 302 with no tunnel cutting where as the newer TKO 500 will require cutting because of a larger form factor. I hope I’m wrong and you can set me straight. 
thanks ahead of time for any insights,
Mark

San Jose, Calif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-mustang-40/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_bid_placed_outbid

DD5FA425-93C3-4483-8CFD-F039A3BD8F54.png

Welcome to the forum Mark. It looks like your San Jose build Mustang is making its way home again.

First up, I know next to nothing about T5s and its cousins. Good news is that I didn't see it mentioned in the BAT ad is that you've got not just any 4 speed, but a toploader. You also have subframe connectors. If its still got the 2.79 rear gears, you might be happy with that, unless the Z bar clutch it too heavy for y'all. Modern Driveline makes a hydraulic clutch for much less cash than a T5 swap. 

Good luck with your new 69, and if you end up swapping thr toploader I may be interested. 

From what I've read the TKO 500/600 usually fit with little to no modification to the tunnel. If you step up to the 6 speed T56 you almost always need to modify the tunnel unless you drop the engine 0.5-1.0" with special engine mounts. That might add some other clearance problems though with headers among other things.

I might add that I don't have any actual experience, just internet surfin'.

Nice looking car btw. What steering wheel is that?

I installed a TKO 500 in my 70 with a highly modified 418W .  There is very little trimming to the gear shift hole edge and removal of the small bracket on the bottom around the hole.  Since you don't have a high HP engine the T5 would be my choice.       

Welcome to the Forum. I did the T5 swap On my 69 Years back(like 10 years ago). I used 1 from a junkyard 90 Mustang V8 5.0 . The input shaft cone was broken all around the nose Which is common i guess if driven Hard, they were made of aluminum. I replaced with the Steel Ford Racing Cone. I went clutch cable on mine. Along with parts necessary The swap was easy and fit well almost like it was meant to be from the factory. T5 shifts like butter and absolutely love it but i never Really go hard on it from a dead stop.  Great for Cruising and just Driving it ,  I wouldnt go T5 for launching from a dead stop .  My engine is a Modded 351w . My plan is I will go TKO600 .82 final 5th gear along a  hydraulic External slave in the years to come as i save up money for that Project . I have read (internet)that on a 69 the Tko600 clears the tunnel. Some say the TKO600 shifts smooth, Others say different.

Hey Mark, Congrats on the purchase. I was watching that on BAT.

I recently switched my car from a 4spd to a T5 with the Modern Driveline hydraulic conversion and it required zero cutting of the floor.  You can buy everything needed from MDL, one thing of note is the clutch master bulkhead needed some radius done to make it sit flush on the firewall.  Also sometimes Summit has 10% off you can get the T5z from them or another option is Dale at Schwartz performance is almost always willing to cut a deal.

Welcome,  Very similar to my car except I have a C4 and Dark Red interior.  I've always dreamed of putting in a 5 speed transmission.

Ed

Edit:  Love seeing what it looks like with Shaved emblems on a Red car.  I've considered doing that and now I know which way I prefer it!

Hi Mark,

I'm looking at the t5 also because my t-10 is about shot. Got a full quote from Modern Driveline, about $3100 by reusing my belhousing and clutch. It wont help with freeway rpm but if you just want a softer pedal, a newer clutch will definitely help. I put in a McLeod Super Street Pro with the stock zbar and is very gentle, smooth engagement. Let me know if you do unload the Toploader and RPM doesn't want it. BTW I am in Mountain View so not far from you, there is a meetup every Thurs at Mojo Burgers on Foxworthy in SJ that might be interesting. 

Any thoughts from the rest of the crew on dealing with a dying t10? It needs double clutching to get into third and fourth now, been steadily getting worse.  Some options:

• Rebuild the T10 - might be fun, and an excuse to buy more tools
  • Have somebody rebuild it - any recommendations?
  • Buy a Rebuilt T10 - about $12-1500 on fleabay. Anybody ever work with Garage Motorsports out of WA?
  • Buy a rebuilt Toploader - about $2400 from someone reputable like David Kee
  • Convert to the T5 - about $3100. I like J's comment: "shifts like butter" ;-) BTW, Modern confirmed there is NO tunnel mods needed if you use their tail housing and shifter.

Other options?

Thanks,
Dave

On 8/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, Msflanag said:

Hi everyone,

new to the forum. Just bought a 69 fastback won on bring a trailer. Long time car buff. And old. Looking to make the 69 more drivable on freeway for me and my wife who is petite. The Five Spd and hydraulic clutch will go a long way to benefit both our comfort levels. My research shows that the older ford 5 spd will fit on the 302 with no tunnel cutting where as the newer TKO 500 will require cutting because of a larger form factor. I hope I’m wrong and you can set me straight. 
thanks ahead of time for any insights,
Mark

San Jose, Calif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-mustang-40/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_bid_placed_outbid

DD5FA425-93C3-4483-8CFD-F039A3BD8F54.png

I have a tko600 MDL Kit installed on my 69 coupe. No cutting from what I remember. Im using an external clutch slave which helps with pedal effort, Im located in the in the bay area aswell, dont mind meeting you at a cars and coffee to show you.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:08 AM, dbmac said:

Rwcstang, sounds like you are in Redwood City. Any Cars n coffee between you and me?

If you have Instagram or Facebook, look up peninsula mustangs, its mainly new mustangs but once a month, they meet at at fashion island (Foster City)

but I hang with a small group of classics mustang owners, we are ages between 20-35. We try to do a cruise or meet 1-2 times a month.

feel free to add me in IG @datwild69 and ill send you an invite to the next meet.