Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Hurst Comp Plus Reverse Issue

I haven't messed with a toploader in 40 years, and this is my first Hurst shifter. It's a used shifter that looks great, and will go thru 1, 2, 3 and 4 gears just fine. But I can't get it to engage the inner reverse lever on the shifter. With the arms disconnected the tranny shifts fine by hand. The 1-2, 3-4, and reverse shifter levers move freely when not connected to the rods or arms. 

Other than recommending a rebuild of the shifter, are there any tricks or little known fixes to it?

Most likely its in need of adjustment.

If the linkage bushings are in good shape then a complete adjustment check is next.

Use the pin inserted with shifter in neutral and linkage disconnected.

Adjust each arm so that it slides into the hole centered.

A simple nail will work for adjustment pin as long as it is a snug fit to keep things centered.

Just installed the Hurst shifter on my car, Shifter will not go into reverse if the 1,2 or the 3 4 gear are not in neutral position. Hook up the reverse linkage only and try to shift see if it works.  The 1,2 and 3,4 must be in neutral.

Just remembered, you must replace the shift lever arms on the transmission to use the Hurst shifter.  Because the reverse is left-forward, where the stock shifter is left-back.  Probably is good idea just to replace the arms and linkage with Hurst shift lever kit #3737637. 

Thanks guys! I did have the levers centered with the tool, Hurst arms on the studs, and new bushings. While the shifter was clean on the outside, it had a bucketful of dirt and dried grease up inside the housing. Cleaned and lubed it while working the stick freed it up. 

Thanks again. 

CHANGED OVER MY '70 MACH 1 FROM AUTO TO 4-SPEED. PURCHASED USED HURST SHIFTER AT SWAP MEET. AFTER INSTALLING & TESTING IT, THERE IS NO LOCKOUT FOR REVERSE. SHIFTER WILL EASILY GO INTO REVERSE IF DOWNSHIFTING FROM ANY FORWARD GEARS. WHAT EXACTLY IS THE PROBLEM? DOES IT NEED A FULL REBUILD, OR IS THERE AN ADJUSTMENT? TANX. CENTER ADJUSTMENT IS CORRECT, NO TROUBLE GOING INTO ANY GEAR, BUT THERE IS NO PRESSURE GOING INTO REVERSE.

Edited by LENNY SREBRO
MORE INFO

14 hours ago, LENNY SREBRO said:

CHANGED OVER MY '70 MACH 1 FROM AUTO TO 4-SPEED. PURCHASED USED HURST SHIFTER AT SWAP MEET. AFTER INSTALLING & TESTING IT, THERE IS NO LOCKOUT FOR REVERSE. SHIFTER WILL EASILY GO INTO REVERSE IF DOWNSHIFTING FROM ANY FORWARD GEARS. WHAT EXACTLY IS THE PROBLEM? DOES IT NEED A FULL REBUILD, OR IS THERE AN ADJUSTMENT? TANX. CENTER ADJUSTMENT IS CORRECT, NO TROUBLE GOING INTO ANY GEAR, BUT THERE IS NO PRESSURE GOING INTO REVERSE.