bigmal

Crankshaft removal 351C

Hi all, after recently rebuilding my 351 Cleveland I damaged the flame plate installing the tranny. I replaced the flex plate and stupidly didn’t keep the old one. The engine had been balanced and now I have a vibration so it looks like I need to rebalance it with the new flex plate. To minimise disassembly is it possible to remove the crankshaft without removing the camshaft, pistons and rods? I’m thinking it is but not sure.

Thanks 

I know it's possible on a 351w stroker as I've done it when my crank needed repairs. I built a wood cradle for the crank to sit in, which bolted to a floor jack. Since I now have a tranny jack I would use it as it drops down straight, where the floor jack drops in an arc. After unbolting the rods I pushed the pistons up as far as possible for clearance. Make sure the  dots on the timing chain are aligned for proper reassembly. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I know it's possible on a 351w stroker as I've done it when my crank needed repairs. I built a wood cradle for the crank to sit in, which bolted to a floor jack. Since I now have a tranny jack I would use it as it drops down straight, where the floor jack drops in an arc. After unbolting the rods I pushed the pistons up as far as possible for clearance. Make sure the  dots on the timing chain are aligned for proper reassembly. 

Thanks Bob, I should have mentioned that I will have the engine out and on a stand. Just checking if there is anything I have missed in my head. Sounds like it won't be a big deal

Easy. Flip the engine over, undo all the bolted bits on the crank and pull it out. No need for any of the top of the motor to come off, except the timing covers.

You'll have it done by lunch :)

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

you should put thin wall plastic sleeves on the bolts to keep from scratching the crank.

Yep. I only had 2 from Clevite, so I cut short pieces from clear tubing I had around. You're cheating having the motor out  :)