Sign in to follow this  
70Mach1rb

1970 Mach 1 Trim Needed - Looking for Deals And Help

SEARCHING FAR AND WIDE FOR 1970 MACH 1 BODY TRIM PIECES. 8 PIECES IN ALL. 

I know this subject has crossed the continent before. But I don't want outdated info. I need something for today. Thanks to all who share, comment or help with info on this. 

I'm Rick Bell, ,and I'm 64 this year. This is my 2nd year on restoring a 70 mach 1 that came with practically no parts, just a shell. However it did come with two pieces of quarter trim for the Mach 1 rocker ensemble.

I've spent $28,000 on parts for it as it needed everything. Just to have it go back as was. I don't have many mods. 

My biggest issue so far is this darn trim which seems to be difficult to buy new or find refurbished. I'm happy to buy a complete set restored or not, ,and list my other existing non-restored pieces on eBay at discounted prices. 

I recently bought to fender trims pieces, to my surprise they are different . One earlier, one later type. Also one side missing a few letters on the earlier one. I've also managed to buy two pieces of rocker trim as well, and only need the two lower door pieces. To finish complete set.

But having the set un-restored as is they will not be installed on my rotisserie restoration project.

Even though I an restore these myself. I have no replacement parts or connects for them. If I take the stainless off the tops, and refinish it. How do I get it fastened back? 

Also it appears the two fender pieces attach in two different ways. So possibly I should locate another piece that matches the one I have. Either earlier or later model is fine with me. But seems the ones with the removable letters would be easier to refinish. Not sure on that. 

Any refurbishes out there?

Anyone have the fender piece I need?

Also is spending $400 dollars for the two lower door pieces too much? I see some on eBay.

Also anyone have information on where to get the right plastic pieces and nuts to go on these things? 
Also how are the rocker pieces attached? Are they screwed on down both sides? Or pins and some sort of clips.  I see holes in mine. 

Please share if you know anyone out there that can help. I'm ready with cash in hand. :)

Rick

mach 1 Trim.jpg

red mustang.jpg

Regarding the bright trim pieces on the top of the Mach 1 molding.  They are aluminum.  I had mine restored to perfect condition by King Of Trim in CA USA.  They take out all road rash and dents, polish to mirror finish.  They have the correct anodizing chemistry also.  If I remember correctly they are pop riveted to the al cladding.  NPD has the correct paint color. Fasteners for the door pieces can be found here https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Moulding-Fasteners-10-24-X-3-4-Bolt-5-16-Width-p/a12962.htm  (I am not sure if this is the correct size but this is where I bought replacements.  For the cladding of the forward quarter panel bottom, the molded in posts for panel retention were broken off. Instead of drilling and using screws I fastened studs on the back to replace the posts using a very strong adhesive call Belzona.  They are still on after many years.  I don't recommend aftermarket bright trim since it is far from the OEM design.  Good luck!  Alan