Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

Header bolts + gasket

So I blew through my header gasket during the shake-down run.  Doh!  This gasket came with my JBA shorties.  The cyl#1 blew out the bottom, which surely can't help with my EFI learning/tuning!

Any recommendations on bolts and a new gasket?  And what is the torque on header bolts?  I had them all around 25 ft-lbs, so not sure what's going on.

Stage8 makes some nice lookin' bolts.  But is there a slightly thicker gasket that might work a bit better?

IMG_20200812_211719838.jpg

I've had Percy Seal-4-Good gasket for years. Reuasable, had them on and off a couple of times. The're multilayer aluminum. 

I think they are now Taylor Cable brand. It carries the same part number, and looks the same as Percy.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-66014

I linked the Windsor gasket. Is that a Cleveland  gasket you got there?

As for torque, usualy you  can only work with wrenches, so I go as much as I can without slipping with that 3/8s wrench. Then retorque after a day, and again the next day after that. I've always used ARP bolts.

sweet.  Thanks for the tips.  I scored another JBA manifold gasket locally for free, so will try it first assuming perhaps it was an installation issue (?).  If it fails, I really like that soft aluminum one!  I've got a windsor, so your summit link is perfect.  Locking stage 8 bolts too, just in case.

remflex gaskets seal irregularities the best, and are burn proof.

my friend has percy gaskets on his car and the headers have a thick 1/2" flange and they are leaking.

since the burn area is all on the bottom of every cylinder, make sure there is nothing forcing the header outward on the bottom.

jba gaskets are only good for the trash can and you couldn't pay me to use one.

Check the cylinder heads to make sure the header sits flush. When I installed mine there was a small bump on the casting that I had to grind down. My engine was on a stand at the time and was easy to see the problem. Might not be as easy to see with the engine installed. 

I have Sandersons shorty headers that require RTV. It never sealed for me, so I went to Remflex  ceramic header and  collector gasket. With the header bolts I’m now using a SS star washer that won’t allow the bolt to back out.