1969_Mach1

Rocker Arms for FE Motor

Since FE motor rocker arms seem so ridiculously expensive, anybody here have experience with the PRW rocker arms for an FE motor?  I'm also looking at the Harland Sharp rockers only, and install them on my original shafts.  Harland Sharp said they will work with stock shafts, stands, and spring spacers.  I'm thinking the stock steel spring spacers are going to grind away at the aluminum rocker arms.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.  So far Precision Oil Pumps has the best price for a U.S. made rocker arm.  Since they sell everything in components I'll have to contact them to find out if their rockers will work with the original shafts, and stands.  Maybe I can get away with only purchasing their rocker arms and maybe spacers.  I'm using a hydraulic flat tappet cam and not a lot of spring pressure, 115 lbs. on seat and 280 lbs. open so from what I understand the stock stands and shafts are just fine.  And mine are in good condition.  I have a good set of stock adjustable rocker arms but I would prefer something with a roller tip for less valve guide wear.

When I got mine, I called Precision Oil Pumps about some options.  He had stock style adjustable, not roller, that he refurbished and upgraded, with locking adj stoppers and new inserts where they install on the shaft.  Was trying to remember more details about them, but they were solid units.  I changed over to Roller Lifters and needed adjustable but was had similar concerns that you did about the aftermarket ones.  

This was a few years ago, so not sure if he still has those available or not.  

44 minutes ago, SM69Mach said:

When I got mine, I called Precision Oil Pumps about some options.  He had stock style adjustable, not roller, that he refurbished and upgraded, with locking adj stoppers and new inserts where they install on the shaft.  Was trying to remember more details about them, but they were solid units.  I changed over to Roller Lifters and needed adjustable but was had similar concerns that you did about the aftermarket ones.  

This was a few years ago, so not sure if he still has those available or not.  

What rocker arms did you end up using?  I'm kind of new to FE motor parts.  Why are they so expensive?  The machine shop said the import PRW's would work fine because I have relatively low spring pressure.  But I've read so many bad things about them.  Almost have to just pick something and see what happens.

It is basically a stock FE adjustable rocker arm.  That was an option on the FE motors, but they had a known issue of non locking adjustment so, they would tend to back out.  Precision Oil, upgrades that to a fully locking adjustable nut set up, so it gets rid of the stock adjustment issue.  He also put in new bushings where the shafts go.  Again, this was a few years ago and I am not sure he still does this, but it was a good comprise on function and cost.  

55 minutes ago, SM69Mach said:

It is basically a stock FE adjustable rocker arm.  That was an option on the FE motors, but they had a known issue of non locking adjustment so, they would tend to back out.  Precision Oil, upgrades that to a fully locking adjustable nut set up, so it gets rid of the stock adjustment issue.  He also put in new bushings where the shafts go.  Again, this was a few years ago and I am not sure he still does this, but it was a good comprise on function and cost.  

With those stock rocker arms you have, what kind of valve lift does your cam have?  I am using a Comp 280 Magnum that has about 0.530" lift with the non adjustable 1.73:1 rocker arms.  With the adjustable 1.76:1 rocker arms it would be 0.540" lift.  Is that too much for a stock rocker arm?  Open spring pressure is at 280 lbs.  I have a set of original adjustable rocker arms in good condition.  Machine shop says they have the tooling to resurface the end that contacts the valve tip.  Not certain yet if I want to use them.

I will see if I can go back and dig up what we put in there.  I originally had a flat tappet cam and it flattened some lifters, the shop changed it up to roller lifters.  The Flat tappet was a 280H and used the stock no adjustable rockers.  When I moved to the roller set up is when I moved to the adj rockers.  I will try to dig up more specifics on each setup, but I have had no issues since changing over a few years ago.  

Update, I purchased a set of aluminum PRW rocker arms and will be returning them tomorrow.  The quality of the rocker arms is terrible.  Finish is rough, one had a small crack on the top surface, a lot of them had lines scored through the top surfaces, and one of the bronze bushings fell out of one of the rocker arms and doesn't have a press fit.  Harland Sharp offers a set that fit onto the original shafts.  I might go that route.

The shafts, stands, and spacers looked fine, but the rocker arms were terrible.  I'm guessing the rockers come from a different vendor than the other components.  Especially since the shafts, stands and spacers look the same as what everybody else sells.  But the rocker arms look unique to PRW.

harland sharp rockers used to be good, but hard to say now. you might call and ask where they are made.

did you restrict the oil flow to the rocker arms with a restrictor and are you using the cobra jet style oil filter adapter?

prw is "overseas" made, and is crap.

Yeah I read a recent review on Harland Sharp rockers, end result they were fine, but the guy had to do extensive cleaning and chase the threads in all the rockers before he could install them.  I was shocked how poorly made the PRW aluminum rocker arms were.  I expected something not as good as some higher end U.S. made rockers, but never thought I'd get something not even usable.  The other option I am aware of that's the most reasonably priced are from Precision Oil Pumps.