Sign in to follow this  
lalojamesliz

408w breather caps or

I bought some valve covers with push in breather caps but they are super hard to push in. Yes I spit on it...... ha ha ha j/k

I tried looking for tips online then I started to see discussions on using breather caps or pcv valves.  I don't want a oily film on my engine from the breather caps but if they work better than pcv valves then ill just clean the engine bay once in a while.  What do you guys recommend for a high 500hp street car?

My engine is a carbed 408w. 

15956326949483133308970870999484.jpg

I tried that. The grommet goes on easy but its super hard to push in the breather.  I also tried to install the grommet on the breather then putting them in together but that looks impossible. 

I just want to know if these breathers would be my best choice for my engine because if I get them in, they aren't going to come out without damaging something......

Did the grommet come with the breather cap? My experience breather caps can have 2 different size spouts.  Something like 1" and 3/4".  However, the outside diameter of the grommet is the same.  I fought one a few years ago. I had a 1" spout breather and grommet with 3/4" inside hole diameter. I could easily put the grommet on the breather but it stretched the grommet to wide.  I could put grommet in the breather and the spout would not come close to fitting. 

6 hours ago, 1969Fstback said:

Did the grommet come with the breather cap? My experience breather caps can have 2 different size spouts.  Something like 1" and 3/4".  However, the outside diameter of the grommet is the same.  I fought one a few years ago. I had a 1" spout breather and grommet with 3/4" inside hole diameter. I could easily put the grommet on the breather but it stretched the grommet to wide.  I could put grommet in the breather and the spout would not come close to fitting. 

The valve covers came with the grommet and i have the same problem as you did.  I have to stretch the grommet on to the breather a tad but forget about it fitting in to the hole on the valve covers. 

I might just go with pcv valves but if I decide to keep one of the breathers like someone recommended, ill use my step drill bit to enlarge the hole little by little until I can fit the breather.  

You would need both for the system to work correctly.

A filtered air supply from your air cleaner to one valve cover OR a breather fitted to that cover.

On the other valve cover you would need to hook up a PCV with vacuum supplied by either a intake manifold fitting OR a vacuum supply from your carb or carb spacer.

10 hours ago, 1969Fstback said:

Based on your pic looks like you have a 1 inch pcv grommet.  Autozone has the 1 1/4 first couple bucks. You can see the difference in my pic. 

20200726_120008.jpg

The breather I have has a 1" male fitting 

The grommet has a .72" and the opening on my valve covers is 1.20"

Man.....

15 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

The breather I have has a 1" male fitting 

The grommet has a .72" and the opening on my valve covers is 1.20"

Man.....

I will go out and mic mine in a bit.  The pvc may be .72 and the valve being .75.  But looks like you'd need a 1 inch grommet.  I now my breather fits in easily into the larger grommet in my pic.  And to put it on the smaller one is a struggle.  I was going off memory and I very well may be wrong it may be .75 and 1" on the diameter of the breather spout and pvc.

1 hour ago, rwcstang said:

I saw this PCV in VMF, but no one updated the thread if it actually works, can you describe what what it made it better, smoother idle/take off? 

My  opinion is the benefits in the website are correct. My engine used to blow breather cap up off the seated position on the mounting tube. I tried two breather caps and had the same problem.  Now the breather cap doesn't move from the seated position.  I used to have some minor oil leaks and they are gone.  My engine idles and seems to run cleaner.  I think it really works.  Feel free to call the owner.  I had some questions when setting it up over the weekend, The owner picked up on the phone and gladly walked me thru the setup.