edwardthomson51@yahoo.com

floor grommet for emergency brake cable 70 coupe

Not sure about a 70, but I’m pretty sure there is no grommet in the floor. The cable goes through the floor into a tube in the torque box and comes out the back of it. My 69 didn’t have a grommet. There is a rubber piece of hose on the cable but that’s it. 

10 hours ago, Kris said:

Not sure about a 70, but I’m pretty sure there is no grommet in the floor. The cable goes through the floor into a tube in the torque box and comes out the back of it. My 69 didn’t have a grommet. There is a rubber piece of hose on the cable but that’s it. 

Same

YES REPLACED ALL FRONT FLOORS AND TORGUE BOXES.....SO ORIGINAL HOLE FOR E BRAKE CABLE IS GONE.....  HAVE APPROX MEASURMENTS FOR DRILLING A NEW HOLE AND WILL

DO THAT......HOPE THE TUBE IS THERE WHERE I DRILL???   NO WAY OF TELLING WITH A NEW TORQUE BOX IN ALREADY.......THE ORIG TORQUE BOX WAS THROWN OUT BEFORE I COULD

LOOK AT IT FOR THE HOLE FOR THE CABLE........   NEVER A DULL MOMENT WITH THIS CAR  HA HA!

ED

2 hours ago, edwardthomson51@yahoo.com said:

YES REPLACED ALL FRONT FLOORS AND TORGUE BOXES.....SO ORIGINAL HOLE FOR E BRAKE CABLE IS GONE.....  HAVE APPROX MEASURMENTS FOR DRILLING A NEW HOLE AND WILL

DO THAT......HOPE THE TUBE IS THERE WHERE I DRILL???   NO WAY OF TELLING WITH A NEW TORQUE BOX IN ALREADY.......THE ORIG TORQUE BOX WAS THROWN OUT BEFORE I COULD

LOOK AT IT FOR THE HOLE FOR THE CABLE........   NEVER A DULL MOMENT WITH THIS CAR  HA HA!

ED

If you look inside the torque box through the hole the cable comes out under the car, you should be able to see the guide Kris is talking about (if the new torque boxes have it built in).

I have never seen an aftermarket torque box with the E-brake channel in it. The originals that I have messed with , 69's had it, 70's did not. Routing the cable is fairly easy as there should be an access hole in the rear of the torque box close to the floor support. the cable hole can be drilled in the upper left hand fire wall extension, through the TB lid and you should be good to go. This is a picture of Vic's 70 vert when I was fixing up that area. You should be able to get a decent gustimate from the pic.

455057717_Toe2.thumb.jpg.8352f3fc629f5dce074a57b620b0c0f0.jpg 

I purchased TQ boxes Dallas Mustang about 6-7 years ago. They do have the "tunnel" for the e-brake cable. I believe these were Scott Drake but I'm not positive. While I can not confirm these are the same brand there is a good picture of the "tunnel".:

https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/69-70-lh-cp-fb-torque-box-m114blh

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-torque-box-in-weld-thru-primer-two-piece-driver-side-mustang-coupe-fastback-1969-1970/p/3655AWT/

3655awt.jpg

well guys i drilled a hole where it looked good for the cable to go through and i found out i do not have a tube built in to guide a cable down into the frame rail ....i tried using a wire to see if i could get it through but that didnt work.....i put a nut on a string and sent that down to see if that would work with a magnet to try and find it.....didnt work......  there has to be some way to do this.....get something through so i can tie the cable to it and pull it up through the floor............   any ideas?  the car is on jack stands dash is mostly out -- it need to get this done so i can put the dash back in...........never a dull moment here.......any ideas would be appreciated!!

thanks

ed